Home » Audio » General » Kid Safety
Kid Safety [message #62419] Tue, 27 April 2010 17:00 Go to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
With the discussions on ear health going on, I have to wonder how you deal with protecting your kids hearing? There are so many things that need headphones, from games to music players-how do you keep them safe?
Re: Kid Safety [message #62452 is a reply to message #62419] Sat, 01 May 2010 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djessa is currently offline  djessa
Chancellor
It's very important to educate your kids in using headphones. Make sure that the volume is always in average level. My kids currently using two Sony headphones. They always use it in playing counterstrike. I bought Sony brand because the quality is good and safe for kids.
Re: Kid Safety [message #62535 is a reply to message #62419] Thu, 06 May 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofer is currently offline  woofer
Chancellor
I'm halfway ready to outlaw earbuds and headphones for my kids. One listens at a reasonable level but the other one listens to them way too loud. I can have her turn them down but she turns it right back up as soon as I leave the room.
Re: Kid Safety [message #62561 is a reply to message #62419] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SayWhat?
Esquire
I hate when kids do that. I would rather they not have earphones or ear buds at all if they are going to do this. There are so many people who have lost all or part of their hearing because of it. It's really a bad habit.
Re: Kid Safety [message #62590 is a reply to message #62419] Tue, 11 May 2010 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
What about buying devices that have a volume limiter? Or can you buy headphones that have a volume limiter built into them?
Re: Kid Safety [message #62656 is a reply to message #62419] Fri, 14 May 2010 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lazarus is currently offline  Lazarus
Chancellor
I agree with Woofer and SayWhat to outlaw headphones and earbuds for the kids. In their younger age, I think children's sensory organs are more sensitive and vulnerable than they are of adults.
Re: Kid Safety [message #62673 is a reply to message #62419] Fri, 14 May 2010 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
I think as long as you monitor a child's use with headphones and tell them the reason why they can't listen to music or games with the volume turned way up then they should be fine. Also, I would limit how long they are allowed to have headphones on.
Re: Kid Safety [message #62777 is a reply to message #62419] Tue, 18 May 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I think that limiting the time they use them for is a wise idea, and goes hand in hand with limiting screen time. What about the open headphones with foam pads? Or headphone hats-are they better do you think?
Re: Kid Safety [message #63149 is a reply to message #62419] Sat, 12 June 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musiclover is currently offline  musiclover
Esquire
You can essentially do one of the following: either buy headphones that have a low maximum volume or tweak the technology that your kids use so that the volume cannot go higher than a certain amount.
Re: Kid Safety [message #63520 is a reply to message #62419] Sun, 25 July 2010 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jesstasy is currently offline  jesstasy
Esquire
My ex-husband was a DJ. He used to play music at extremely high levels around my daughter. I wasn't concerned at the time but I sure wish I had been. She is now a pre-teen and has partial hearing loss in one ear. She talks very loud because she doesn't hear too well. Most times, I have to repeat myself while talking to her even when I talk in a loud voice.

I would say that as with everything else too much of anything is not good. Make sure volume is at a normal and reasonable level for listening pleasure. Do not allow them to listen with earbuds or headphones if they have a tendency to listen at high volumes. In the long run, it will be detrimental to their hearing!
Previous Topic: Replacing Photo Camera
Next Topic: Adobe Soundbooth CS5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 08:56:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout