Home » Audio » General » new amplifier methodology pdf(found it)
new amplifier methodology pdf(found it) [message #624] Sun, 11 July 2004 00:47 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
hi all.Incase you missed it. i read this one then formatted my pc and forgot where it was.a yahoo search with PDF fILES only revealed it.
Cheers!

A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY
POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC
DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY
BY
Daniel H. Cheever

II. A new audio test philosophy…………………………………………………….. 34
1. Harmonic consonance.………..……………………..………...……....…… 35
2. The sound pressure level dependence of the aural harmonic
envelope……………………………………………………………………….
3. Intermodulation distortion.………………..…..…………..…………...…… 49
4. Pre-transient noise bursts.………………..…..……....…………….....…… 51
5. The fallacy of negative feedback as a cure-all……………………………... 52
III. Measurement protocol of the Total Aural Disconsonance figure of merit……...
1. Device measurements……………………………………………………... 64
2. A measurement protocol for the Total Aural Disconsonance figure of
merit………………………………………………………………………..

but it isnt without its critics [message #625 is a reply to message #624] Sun, 11 July 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
the Cheever thesis is an embarrassment to the issuing institution and a parody of the scientific method - the list of true statements about feedback and solid state amplifiers is much shorter than the list of howling errors, Cheever can’t even identify the dominant pole cap in the Hafler amp he uses

I keep trying but few seem to really be willing to look at real references rather than pass around superficially impressive looking papers that just happen to be on the web

and the AA response
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/prophead/messages/2816.html

quote:
I'm afraid I haven't got the time to read right now.

Don't bother, it was a terrible piece of work. Amazing he got that thesis passed.

Re: but it isnt without its critics [message #626 is a reply to message #625] Sun, 11 July 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mike,

I'll read that. Seems like I remember the fuss, but disregared it as noise. The fuss I mean, not the thesis. The thesis was written for a purpose, so regardless of its conclusions, it had a reason for being. But anyway, I never took the time to read it, got busy and forgot. I'll try to remember this time to check it out and see what Cheever says.

What were your thoughts?

Wayne

my view. [message #631 is a reply to message #626] Sun, 11 July 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well it certainly is a step up from the subjectivism you find thesedays.

some one on diyaudio noted that his evaluation scheme gives his amplifier a better score, and a perfect amplifier will actualy still have a bad score...or something!!
This guy seems a little low on proof after making a statement.

Personally i prefer Douglas self,he seems more facts based
at the moment im scrolling through his amplifier design book,im just starting the part on the 8 distortions of amplifiers...then im getn into the input differential pairs, vas stage and outputs,its SO IN DEPTH ! :-)

I know that the thesis should be read in a way that it was intended for...as a thesis,not as an AES publication ;-)

I would actualy like to make a little 2x20w BJT with a 'warmness' knob on it!! apparently unmatched differential pairs cancel 2nd harmonics quite well when designed well,il look into it :-)

but those cost $$ !

I like having facts not subjectivism in audio. Its always down the the experience ofcourse..but the facts keep you firmly rooted in the swirling storm-market of audio!

Correction [message #632 is a reply to message #631] Sun, 11 July 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would actualy like to make a little 2x20w BJT with a 'warmness' knob on it!! apparently unmatched differential pairs cancel 2nd harmonics quite well when designed well,il look into it :-)

oops i contradicted myself..

MATCHED differential input pairs CANCEL 2nd harmonics well!

Re: Correction [message #633 is a reply to message #632] Sun, 11 July 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yep, the "symmetry" part of the complementary-symmetry configuration is as important as the "complementary" part. So you'll need matched complementary pairs in your differential circuit.

0.0001% THD [message #635 is a reply to message #633] Tue, 13 July 2004 00:08 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Its amazing the improvements that can be made with methodical attack!
Im up to output stages now

The THD+N numbers hes stating for his spice models are so low the noisefloor makes it hard to see the distortions.

THe more i read the more i understand.

its great stuff!
now reading how,4ohm loads always distort more :-)
(think of the car audio guys running 0.5ohm loads with quad coil 15"s!)

Also ..how he prefers class A or class B rather than class a/b.
He seems very intimate with his spectrum analyser also! its like his best bud! trusty FFT providing a basis of proof of improvement.

Cheers

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Club meeting - July 10th - 2:00pm
Next Topic: MAC CHOKE AND
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:23:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers