Home » Audio » Speaker » RCL 1290 loudspeaker (Anybody know anything about it?)
RCL 1290 loudspeaker [message #59323] Mon, 01 June 2009 09:11 Go to next message
Diaboy is currently offline  Diaboy
Esquire
Hi guys.
Recently I acquired a pair of large, what look like disco - music type speakers from my old school's Physics department - for free. The cabinets were a bit damaged and looked like cheap chipboard (not the best cabinet material I gather) so I decided to take them apart, and perhaps remove the loudspeakers themselves and build a new set of speakers.

Oddly enough the two loudspeaker units were not matching make, despite the identical cabinets. I have been having difficulty finding anything out about them.

One of them has written on the back:
'RCL 1290
8 Ohms

Power: 90 Watts
Res: 35 Hz
SPL: 95 dB'

The other one simply says:
'Heavy duty high fidelity loudspeaker
FANE
with high efficiency anisotropic ferrite magnet' and is significantly worse for wear.

I was thinking of using the RCL one as a subwoofer. If anyone knows anything more about them, then any info would be great! I have no idea how good they are meant to be.

Thanks in advance.
Re: RCL 1290 loudspeaker [message #59324 is a reply to message #59323] Mon, 01 June 2009 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think I'd probably measure the drivers to see what they were like, then decide what to do with them.

The easiest way is with something like the Woofer Tester from Smith & Larson.

You can also do it with a good multimeter and a sine wave generator on your PC:
Re: RCL 1290 loudspeaker [message #59333 is a reply to message #59324] Wed, 03 June 2009 07:11 Go to previous message
Diaboy is currently offline  Diaboy
Esquire
That's fantastic! This is the first time I've tried something like this, so that's a great help. Cheers!
Previous Topic: JBL 2035HPL T/S parameters
Next Topic: PE # 299-258 OK for array use???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:53:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio