Home » Audio » Movies & Music » 24 hr Party People
24 hr Party People [message #5882] Thu, 19 May 2005 07:04 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
May 18th was 25 years from the death of Ian Curtis, leader of Joy Division. The film "24hr P.P." is about Manchester new-wave scene, where Joy Division has central place,+ producer/menager Tony Wilson. After Joy Division, the band became "New Order", and then we can see somewhat ugly birth of rave-scene, band "Happy Mondays", disco`n`ecstacy, disturbing...not really a "pleasure" film, but interesting and fascinating.
Interestingly, Ian`s widow Deborah stoods behind new movie-project, "Control" about the life of Ian Curtis... Anyway, the title of his song "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is on his memorial stone...
Strange, but solid "music" film.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5883 is a reply to message #5882] Thu, 19 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
"24hr PP", thats the name of the movie, Damir? Tell us more on this story, we don't get this much info on these bands you name.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5884 is a reply to message #5883] Thu, 19 May 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well,(in the movie) punk/new-wave "explosion" starts 1976. with Sex Pistols concert in Manchester/UK for about 30 people, but almost all of them become involved in music after that, haha - for example - "Buzzcocks". Music and cultural "revolution" through the eyes of strange and sleazy producer/owner of "Factory Records" company, and later, famous "Hacienda" club.
Joy Division is one of the most influental bands of so called alternative rock, something like Velvet Underground 10 years before. Their dark, monotone, industrial, strange sound, beautiful and deep lyrics are recorded on two official albums:"Unknown pleasures" and "Closer" and a few singles. Then posthumous album "Still" (demos+concert), and various compilations. In my view, "Closer" is the masterpiece, and some singles "Love will tear us apart", "Atmosphere", "Transmission". Ian Curtis hang himself 25 years ago, in the age of 24... When you read his poems, you can ask yourself how someone so young can be so wise and so sad. Somehow, his death in the middle of the film is the end of one era, and beggining of the brand new age.
Techno/disco/dance/rave movement based on new bands/"philosophy", and XTC buying/selling is another part of the movie, concentrated about "New order" (the remaining memebers of the Joy Division) and their 80`s electro-pop, then strange "Happy Mondays" band... IMO - down, down, down.
P.S. These days, I listen to some bands I mentioned (Buzzcocks, Joy Division and other "new-wave" bands - Television, Clash...) on the "Yahoo.music.com", "LOUNCHcast radio" - "Gang of Four fan radio".

"It is something so good - but just can`t function no more" - Ian Curtis.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5885 is a reply to message #5884] Thu, 19 May 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are quite the poet and a good reviewer also. I like XTC but the problem for me is the recordings are eq'ed so drastically it is hard to listen to them on a high resolution system. Which; when you think about it might be the point.

"I asked her for water; and she gave me gasoline." Chester Burnett.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5886 is a reply to message #5885] Thu, 19 May 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks:-). But, I thought about ecstasy drugs, but you probably figured it. BTW - I liked XTC band too, unusual rhytms and riffs, but very melodic, I remembered "English Settlment", and good (but agressive!) sounding "The Big Express" (new DIGITAL recording technology!).

"Some people like cupcakes better - I for one care less for them!"
"Muffin Man" - FZ

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5887 is a reply to message #5886] Thu, 19 May 2005 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Interesting thought. I have a theory that you can tell what the musical era's are by the substances that fueled them. Be-bop jazz=heroin.Blues,alchohol and reefer.Pshycadelia,LSD.Southern Rock=crystal meth and pills/Disco=cocaine/Nirvana=heroin/XTC=ecstasy, And the circle be unbroken.

"I knew a man once, he drowned in a vat of whiskey;
OH death,, where is thy sting." W.C.Fields.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5888 is a reply to message #5887] Fri, 20 May 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I left one out; Country Music- Corn Squeezin's.

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5889 is a reply to message #5888] Fri, 20 May 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Corn Squeezins? That's a real band name?

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5890 is a reply to message #5889] Fri, 20 May 2005 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No sorry, my little joke. Thats from an old song by Buck Owens called "White Lightnin'", although he didn't write it.
"Mighty Mighty Pleasin;"
"Pappas corn Squeezin's"
"OOOH, White Lightnin'!"

Re: 24 hr Party People [message #5891 is a reply to message #5890] Sat, 21 May 2005 07:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha

Previous Topic: Dave Alvin
Next Topic: 24 Season Finale On Tonight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:50:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio