Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Auricap upgrade
Auricap upgrade [message #53375] Mon, 06 April 2009 07:18 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Anyone upgrade their 4Pi/3Pi with Auricap? Does it worth the extra money and what is the main improvement? Thanks.

Upgrades [message #53377 is a reply to message #53375] Mon, 06 April 2009 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My personal speakers have Auricaps in them. Comments in the thread below:
The upgrade path that makes the most sense to me is shown below. I would make improvements in this order, putting the upgrades that make the most audible improvements closer to the front of the list.

1. Woofer
2. Compression driver
3. Coils
4. Capacitors
5. Resistors

Something else I would highly suggest is to add two to four subs in a multi-sub configuration. This is an upgrade that should probably be ranked ahead of all those listed above, in that it provides smoothness of bass and midbass, even into the lower midrange. Adding subs doesn't just give you impact for movies - this is for hifi too. Bass notes are more balanced from note to note, cello and male vocalists are given warmth and depth. Nothing smoothes the modal range better, so this is something else to consider when budgeting upgrades to your sound system.

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53378 is a reply to message #53377] Mon, 06 April 2009 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. What is included in the Pi 3 subwoofer Kit? Does it includes the amp and crossover?

Thanks.

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53381 is a reply to message #53378] Mon, 06 April 2009 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three π subwoofer kit includes a PI-12 woofer, wired connector panel and a printed copy of the plans. For a crossover, I suggest something like this:

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53390 is a reply to message #53381] Tue, 07 April 2009 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice job on the xover Wayne. It's too bad someone doesn't make a single to dual SIP pcb. There are single to dual DIP configurations though. Here's one we use in headphone amps all the time.

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53392 is a reply to message #53390] Tue, 07 April 2009 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the link, Shane! I wish I had known about those before making my little perfboards - they were a lot of work! With the right adapter, it makes this upgrade pretty easy.

(Couldn't help myself, I just ordered 50)

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53398 is a reply to message #53392] Wed, 08 April 2009 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool. The only thing I don't like about those is they are surface mount (SO8 chips). With thru-hole mounting you could put a socket on it and swap chips more easily.

Re: Subwoofer Kits [message #53399 is a reply to message #53398] Wed, 08 April 2009 23:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, and the surface mount chips are smaller and harder to solder. But that little crossover box doesn't have much room in there. Not that I'll necessarily have that as my only application for these little daughterboards, but the modded sub crossover is a useful product, inexpensive and good sounding. Works real well for multi-sub setups. So I'm thinking I may want to have a few of them around, maybe make them available, or maybe just mod kits.

Previous Topic: Cabinet design
Next Topic: B&C DE 250 and compensation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:14:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout