Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Comments on this low-efficiency 2-way?
Comments on this low-efficiency 2-way? [message #52195] Wed, 11 June 2008 01:23 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, ya have to do something besides cleaning at 4AM and this morning I went looking for something entirely different. Those 70 watts are calling me...

A 3. 25 cu ft ported box, according to WinIsd with these drivers crossed at 3500Hz:

Usher woofer

Usher tweeter

Been thinking for some time about how mainstream audio uses long excursion/low efficiency woofers to get below 30 hz wihtout breaking a sweat so my interest in building this, with a 4th order L-W crossover is real.

Re: Comments on this low-efficiency 2-way? [message #52196 is a reply to message #52195] Wed, 11 June 2008 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
I would not crossover this high on a 10" inch woofer, there might be some nasty cone breakup modes up there.
The tweeter is a 28mm dome with a resonans freq. of 700hz, so it should be safe to cross anywhere from around 1500-2000hz/24db, and up.

The woofer response shows a rising response from 900-2300hz, so you might want to cross lower on the woofer, and use the natural rolloff combined with the crossover, to get the desired crossover point.

Re: Squiggly lines and vented boxes [message #52197 is a reply to message #52196] Wed, 11 June 2008 11:26 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can't find how those fellas at Usher measured the driver except the distance and impedance. Does the chart imply loading into a box or no?

Using WinIsd the ant trails smooth out into a really nice clean interstate across Nebraska leading me to believe I could crossover anywhere between Norman and Salt Lake City.

The plot has that mountain range between 900 and 1500 hz just as you say. If the box doesn't smooth that out, does that mean it must be crossed no higher than 900 Hz or will the choice of type of crossover do that?

I woul;dn't like to use the tweeter much below 2000 Hz if possible, less for safety than to get the crossover point well above the primary treble range of voices and instruments.

Previous Topic: Plans 4 PI
Next Topic: So this is being a DJ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 21:25:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout