Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bass notes lower octave ???
Bass notes lower octave ??? [message #52161] Fri, 23 May 2008 20:29 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Question ??? ON LOWER bass notes on most speakers I can not tell the difference between a bass fiddle or a bass guitar or whatever. I have heard a big difference on horn resonant pipe speakers. How does the Pi four do in this area ??? On a well known tv commercial a tune which sounded like a electric organ playing a tone was in fact a bass fiddle. This was made known when i listened to it thru a large tapered horn. Allso i had one pipe that when the cars were on tv, they sounded exactly like it. These same speakers were not right in output at other freq.

Re: Bass notes lower octave ??? [message #52163 is a reply to message #52161] Sat, 24 May 2008 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I've had pi 4's with the Eminence Omega woofers and they had good bass definition; very easy to tell the difference between electric bass's, cello's, string bass's, etc. I've got the JBL 2226's now, and you can hear the bowing, plucking, etc. of the strings for each note. Very nice. No super low frequencies, but plenty low enough for bass guitar and string bass.

Re: Bass notes lower octave ??? [message #52164 is a reply to message #52163] Sat, 24 May 2008 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Thanks Matts for the reply ,What do you refer as to the super lows like the 20-30 hertz range. I dont like rumble you could cut it off at 35 hertz for me. I like a punchy bass but no rumble ,I had a jbl 15 inch powered sub, it was mostly rumble to me .Gave it away to get rid of it.
It did put out the lows but it all sounded like a octave too low for me.
To me the 12 inch jensen sounded a lot better but no definition same tone on any bass note.

Re: Bass notes lower octave ??? [message #52165 is a reply to message #52164] Sat, 24 May 2008 10:50 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
the 2226 in the Pi 4 has wonderful bass, and is strong down to around 35-40 Hz. There is nothing "rumbly" about it. It just plays whatever the music is in that range accurately. If you have a string bass it may sound a little quiet, but have incredible definition, and if you play hip hop it'll rattle the windows.

Previous Topic: Need bass module
Next Topic: alpha 6 horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:59:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout