Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 PI crossover
4 PI crossover [message #52146] Wed, 21 May 2008 18:27 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, checking my files from when you sent me the 4PI plans, I dont seem to have a crossover schematic. A number of us on the AK forum were wondering how you got the 2002 driver to be so flat. Is the crossover just the 1600 hz in the document, and if so, what is the compensation components values? Thanks in advance.

Russellc

You've got mail! [message #52147 is a reply to message #52146] Wed, 21 May 2008 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've sent plans for the four π loudspeaker to your E-mail address. The response shown at the link below is for a four π with JBL 2226 and B&C DE250 driver. The measurement was taken outdoors with a stepped sine, and no smoothing was applied.

Over the years, I've made several measurements of all my models, mostly pseudo-anechoic that show me behavior through the crossover region but gated high enough there is no usable curve down to the bass. That kind of data is perfect for designing with, because you don't really need to know what is happening down low when optimizing the crossover.

You can be comfortable about bass performance just with impedance charts. Even so, people want to see actual response measurements, all the way down to cutoff. So as useful as my pseudo-anechoic measurements are for designing with, they aren't any good at all for publishing spec sheets.

To get an accurate measurement of response down to the bass range, you have to make the measurement outdoors. This is what I've done at the Prosound Shootout each year. So I'm planning to begin taking all models of speakers outdoors and doing a similar suite of tests on all of them for spec sheets.

As time permits, I'll do on and off axis charts of amplitude and phase response, harmonic and intermodulation distortion, each at various power levels. This gives a much better picture of what's going on than a single chart does. It's pretty time consuming so it won't happen overnight, but in time I'll have a very good set of measurements available.

Re: You've got mail! [message #52153 is a reply to message #52147] Thu, 22 May 2008 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, I didnt receive the schematic. Maybe its my email, I have two:
1.) cathouse7athotmaildotcom, or cathouse7atsbcglobaldotnet. (Of course, with @ instead of at and . instead of dot) Sometimes the hotmail account gives trouble.

Thanks again,
Russellc

Plans resent [message #52154 is a reply to message #52153] Thu, 22 May 2008 19:35 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The last E-Mail went to your Hotmail account. This one went to your SBC Global address.

Previous Topic: one pi x-over freq.
Next Topic: Three pi or Four pi ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:11:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout