Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Apocalyptic Movies
Apocalyptic Movies [message #5214] Wed, 21 April 2004 15:28 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Any of you guys like Apocalyptic movies like The Omen or The Seventh Sign? I was always fascinated with those kinds of movies. They're like scary sci-fi and the best ones have a touch of religious accuracy, at least by reference.

Here are a couple I thought were pretty cool. Check out The Ninth Gate, with Johnny Depp and directed by Roman Polanski.

Another little-known flick is Revelation, a British film with Terence Stamp and written by Stuart Urban.

One thing that's interesting about this movie is it's use of Gnostic references, similar to the way Stigmata uses the Apocryphal book of Thomas. Revelation brings Knights Templar, Illuminati, Alchemy and the Loculus into the picture, which makes the story quite interesting.

There are lots of movies that use purely Christian Biblical references, such as the Cloud Ten productions, Left Behind and Revelation. They're are a lot of fun. There are also movies that are a bit more secular but that still rely mostly on Biblical Christian references, like The Omen or The Prophesy. These tend to deviate some from Biblical text. If you like that sort of thing and yet want something with a little more edge, check out Revelation or The Ninth Gate.

Re: Apocalyptic Movies [message #5215 is a reply to message #5214] Wed, 21 April 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The "Prophecy" films 1 thru 3 with Christopher Walken
are my favorites. Fallen Archangel Gabriel playing
"Telstar" on his cornet. Too much. :-)

Re: Apocalyptic Movies [message #5216 is a reply to message #5215] Wed, 21 April 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I liked those too.

Re: Apocalyptic Movies [message #5217 is a reply to message #5214] Fri, 23 April 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
A very different vision of the Apocalypse is portrayed in my favorite end-of-the-world movie, On The Beach (1959). Directed by Stanley Kramer and with a cast that includes Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, pre-Psycho Tony Perkins and an incredible performance by Fred Astaire, of all people, it one of the most haunting movies I've ever seen. Even now as I think about the movie I can't get the strains of "Waltzing Matilda" out of my head. Incredibly moving and incredibly depressing.

Re: Apocalyptic Movies [message #5218 is a reply to message #5217] Fri, 23 April 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the reference, sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Don't Watch It Alone [message #5219 is a reply to message #5218] Sat, 24 April 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You'll throw yourself out the window at the end.

Re: But from the same author, Neville Shute........ [message #5220 is a reply to message #5219] Sun, 25 April 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
........."Trustee From the Toolroom" which is thoroughly entertaining as well as uplifting. And great descriptions of metalworking/modelmaking.

Re: But from the same author, Neville Shute........ [message #5228 is a reply to message #5220] Mon, 26 April 2004 03:50 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Thanks, Bill. I'd not heard of it, but it looks great. It's on the list.

Previous Topic: Evening i Byzantium
Next Topic: Don't miss "Memento"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 20:31:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout