Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty?
Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51079] Fri, 11 May 2007 16:43 Go to next message
Doug is currently offline  Doug
Chancellor
I am very close to buying a Pi 7 corner horn kit and would like some feedback as to the sound of the various levels. I have a single ended amplifier that can produce about 12 watts per channel. My room is 14' by 20' long.

I was considering the JBL but the cost is high and I have read that the Theater version, although bigger, sounds very good with low power tube amplifiers. Is it worth moving up the scale? Perhaps the Omega is a compromise? Do the Eminence drives sound better as you move up the line or can they just handle more power?

Also, how difficult is it to build the cabinets? It seems to me that the building would not be that bad but the finishing quite brutal and expensive.

I would really appreciate reading your input and experiences before I lay down some hard cash on one of these kits.

Thank You.

Doug

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51080 is a reply to message #51079] Sat, 12 May 2007 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Barnes is currently offline  Tim Barnes
Baron
I can't comment on the sound, but from a fairly close look at the plans I think the bass cabinet is straightforward, the treble cabinet is optional, and the mid-range horn is the tricky one. I think I am going to buy the mid-range horn kit as a way of simplifying that part of the construction.

Wayne and others have posted a lot on the relative capabilities of the different levels - do a search on Pi 7 or just scan the forum. A lot of people ask questions of the form "which speaker should I build", and Wayne has patiently answered them.

I guess the summary from what I've read is that you get what you pay for, and in particular the shorting ring on the JBL woofer makes for a significant reduction in distortion.

I'm planning to build the Professional Pi 7 because I don't want to have to make the investment twice. However easy or difficult the build (and I don't think it's trivial, but it does seem manageable), it requires a significant investment of time and money, so to me it seems a pity to put anything other than the best components in there.

tim

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51081 is a reply to message #51080] Sat, 12 May 2007 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello Tim and thank you for the input. I suppose the best way to make the lower enclosure is to make a box and then add top and bottom boards made of veneered plywood Hardwood. I was thinking that veneering that strange shape would be tough. I suppose you are right that the midrange cabinet would be tough to build and I may consider having Wayne make me a set. However, I do like a good challenge as well!

I wonder if the type of 15" drive is less important in the three way system since the lower driver does not have to cover as much range. Maybe it would be more important to buy the JBL in the two way base reflex designs? Have you ever heard a JBL driver?

Cheers,

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51082 is a reply to message #51081] Sat, 12 May 2007 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Barnes is currently offline  Tim Barnes
Baron
Regarding the construction, I think you could probably do what you suggest. It seems important also to build the two corner panels to tie it all together although a few builders seem to have omitted them. If I build the boxes out of MDF I may well build the top, bottom and corner panels as a separate sub-assembly, because I'd want the box joints to be mitered (more difficult for the top and bottom panels. Given the overall weight, there would seem to be merit in making the system in a number of separable parts, so long as you have a robust way of jointing them so they can't buzz against each other. I was also thinking of using ply for the woofer panel (the one that faces backwards into the corner) so I have a better material to attach the woofer to.

My current plan is to paint the boxes, except for the front of the woofer which I thought I might veneer for contrast. I thought they might look a bit smaller that way as well...

I haven't heard the drivers yet, but I'm keen to have very clean bass, so I expect to buy the JBL.

tim

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51087 is a reply to message #51082] Sun, 13 May 2007 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Professional Series version with the JBL 2226 sounds best to me. Remember that distortion products are harmonics of the fundamental and fall right into the midrange. Even with a low crossover point, this is true. So the use of a high-quality, low-distortion woofer is very important to overall sound quality.

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51109 is a reply to message #51079] Tue, 15 May 2007 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Marshall is currently offline  Grant Marshall
Chancellor

I have a version of the Pi 7's where I substituted my own drivers. This design is very efficient and it's hard to believe how powerful the bass is with corner loading without hearing them. They play loud very easily. I bought the boxes for these and didn't build them but have built some Davids from Bill Fitzmaurice since then which are a much harder build than the Pi 7.

Someone mentioned in the responses to your email about making the speaker look smaller. LOL LOL LOL LOL LMFHO (laughing my fool head off) OUCH ! These ARE NOT small speakers.

If you can spend a couple extra bucks go for the good drivers. I've never heard the JBL's but wasn't happy with the Emminence Delta's I had in the original Theatre's. Mind you I didn't pair them with a tube amp which may be a different story. On the other hand it would be nice to be able to change amps if you felt the urge (eg. you want to take them to a party).

Have fun,

Grant.

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51112 is a reply to message #51109] Tue, 15 May 2007 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you for the input Grant. The JBL cabinet is only 18" wide while the other cabinets are 22. However, the mid horn is the same width on both.

Cheers,

Doug

Re: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty? [message #51123 is a reply to message #51079] Sat, 19 May 2007 04:28 Go to previous message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
I have build (and am still building) Pi7´s for my HT room in the basement.
I use the Eminence Delta 10 for the midhorn, and have substituted the HF driver with the Altec 902, which sounds alot better than the Eminence PSD-2002, to me that is
For the bassbin I got some old JBL 2225H´s that had lived their lives in a PA system. These drivers can be had cheap and are still very very nice bass drivers.

If you got the money go the JBL way, you will not be disappointed, and if you don´t like them, you can always get good cash for JBL drivers.

Previous Topic: new wooden horn!
Next Topic: Looking forward to a report from LSAF...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:40:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio