Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Midhorn Input Data
Midhorn Input Data [message #50243] Sat, 11 November 2006 15:52 Go to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Hi, Wayne! Since I'm playing around with HornResp for the first time ever, I thought it would be a good idea to have an accurate reference point against which I could compare my early modeling calculations. I would be honored if your Midhorn were that reference, as my focus of interest is in a conical midrange/midbass device. So, I was wondering if you still had the original HornResp Input Parameters for it?

Hornresp models [message #50245 is a reply to message #50243] Sat, 11 November 2006 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here's the Hornresp input file, simulated response and actual measured response of a π midhorn using a JBL 2012 driver. You'll notice they correlate well, but at high frequencies, there are some peaks that don't show up in the model. That's because of cone breakup. The model calculates assuming a rigid piston cone, but at high frequencies, the cone starts to vibrate along its surface. That means parts of the surface are decoupled from others, effectively acting like several smaller cones having lighter mass.

Hornresp input data for π midhorn with JBL 2012 driver

Hornresp simulated response for π midhorn with JBL 2012 driver

Measured response of π midhorn with JBL 2012 driver

If you're studying Hornresp, you might model some folded basshorns. The folds tend to attenuate HF, so cone breakup is rolled off. Because of that, measurements of folded horns tend to agree quite well with models. See the models of the 12π basshorn subwoofer, for example.

• 12π basshorn model
  • Effects of changing 12π horn front chamber volume

• Re: Hornresp models [message #50246 is a reply to message #50245] Sat, 11 November 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Viscount
    Thanks, Wayne! I was close for much of the input, but I modeled the horn in free space, while merely guessing at the VTC. The T/S look more like the Delta 10, though (preferred for its availability). Does the VTC in your model include the 1/4" spacer, and does the axial length include the throat depth?

Is there any universal advantage to modeling in 1/8th space? If a design is intended for live SR, I'm thinking that 4xPi would be more realistic, as it would be the worst-case scenario for any venue setup.

I'm not up to trying a basshorn just yet! The Midhorn is challenge enough for a beginner, and the Input Parameter page still resembles a Greek crossword puzzle....

Re: Hornresp models [message #50247 is a reply to message #50246] Sat, 11 November 2006 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The model includes the volume between the cone and the throat, including the spacer. The horn was designed to be used indoors on a cornerhorn, and that's what it was modeled in eighth-space. If you intend to use the horn outdoors, you'll want to model in freespace. Outdoors use requires a much larger horn.

Re: Hornresp models [message #50252 is a reply to message #50247] Sun, 12 November 2006 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Viscount
    Yes, I had played around with expanding the horn in an attempt to move the LF rolloff as close to 160Hz as possible (the highest compromise I'll tolerate for X-over to a dedicated sub), and wound up with a mouth of 30.5" x 15.5", but with only 13" of depth. Shouldn't I need 21.25" of depth for 1/4 WL of 160Hz? The trouble with a 90-degree horn is that the mouth widens 2" for every 1" of depth added.

The rest of the fantasy was to coaxially mount the HF section inside the midhorn's mouth, using a pair of up-ended, trim'n'glue P.Audio PH2510 horns to create an unbroken vertical array to the next midhorn/high pak. Voila, vertical line array!

Re: Hornresp models [message #50254 is a reply to message #50252] Sun, 12 November 2006 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 9π midbass horn is good down to below 100Hz outdoors, but it's pretty big.
    Re: Hornresp models [message #50263 is a reply to message #50254] Mon, 13 November 2006 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Viscount
    Wuff! Does it come with its own plumbing? I'm guessing there's more to the system than the midbass horn. 12 Pi subs on the bottom, and ??? on the top.

Re: Hornresp models [message #50264 is a reply to message #50263] Mon, 13 November 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 9π is a top box for the 12π. It has a 15" JBL 2226 or Omega 15 midbass driver on a simple straight-sided 32" long horn having 28"x28" mouth, 7.5"x7.5" throat, 800in3 front chamber and 1200in3 rear chamber. It also has a 10" JBL 2012 or Delta 10 midrange driver on a straight-sided horn with 18"x18" mouth, 4.5"x4.5" throat, 33in3 front chamber and 80in3 rear chamber. The tweeter is a JBL 2446 2" exit compression driver on an 18"w x 11"h x 15"l horn.

Re: Hornresp models [message #50274 is a reply to message #50264] Thu, 16 November 2006 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Viscount
    I don't see the 9Pi on your website. Is it not yet ready to unveil?

I was curious about the true upper cutoff of the 15" midbass horn, since HornResp tends to graph an earlier rolloff (or so I'm told). Is there a set ratio between HornResp and real-world measurements, or is the difference more design specific?

Re: Hornresp models [message #50277 is a reply to message #50274] Sat, 18 November 2006 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 9π design isn't done yet. Individual parts are finished, but layout and testing isn't.

As for the differences between Hornresp models and measured response, the biggest difference is caused by cone breakup modes. Folded basshorns have close agreement with measurements because their folds and large front chambers attenuate output from breakup modes. Smaller midbass and midrange horns don't have these features, so output from breakup modes passes through them. In most cases, a crossover is used to prevent frequencies that would excite a speaker's breakup modes. In other cases, a speaker is chosen with damped and well behaved breakup modes to extend response.

Hornresp models assume rigid piston motion from the driver. When the cone enters breakup, regions of the cone vibrate independently of the rest of the cone. Ripples develop along its surface and each part acts like a smaller, lighter membrane with a stiff suspension between it and an adjacent node. So it sort of acts like an array of lightweight cones driving the horn. This creates extended response, but since the nodes are formed like ripples on a pond, their position moves with respect to frequency. Standing wave patterns develop along the cone, with some frequencies much louder than others. The net effect is that breakup mode output is usually pretty ragged and peaky. Sometimes it's usable, sometimes not.

Previous Topic: mid-horn
    Next Topic: Eminence PSD2002 vs JBL 2426h
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:52:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout