Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???)
New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49833] Thu, 10 August 2006 08:22 Go to next message
Greggo is currently offline  Greggo
Baron
Wayne,

Just wondering how things were going with your horn tweeter design.

I just blew the tweeters in my Audio Physic Tempo II and though I am attempting to replace with something that probably won't work (I don't know diddly about crossovers...) I am at the same time thinking that, now that I have a subwoofer and a video projector, it is time to get some speakers with serious SPL abilities (I like it loud).

I am looking at your 3 pi professional series kit and thinking about attempting to re-size into a large, sealed studio monitor kind of thing to put on heavy duty stands. Would re-calculating volume for a sealed or leaky (don't know the proper name) impact the crossover design? I am looking for something that will be really strong down to 70Hz as I have the sub coming in below 80. And then my last question, would such a set up be better served by a horn tweeter, especially if it can cross a little lower than the DX25, or do you feel that the DX can really hold up to high SPLs in your 3 Pi Pro series design? I am a bit concerned about running a 12 too high, especially as my listening distances are fairly short (5-8 feet) and spread out on a couch, I don't want to be the only one hogging a decent stereo image in the middle of the couch...

Sorry for the long post, getting anxious to get something going...

Greggo
Asheville, NC

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49834 is a reply to message #49833] Thu, 10 August 2006 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I talked to Brad at the cabinet shop about the new model wood tweeter horn last weekend and I'll probably talk to him again this weekend. I really expected to have it available months ago, but I've had him busy with other stuff. I'm hoping we're able to have wood tweeter horns available soon though.

The Theater three π speaker is really a nice sounding model. I would build it as designed if I were you. Use that as a baseline, and if you want to make changes later, you'll have the original model for comparison.

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49836 is a reply to message #49834] Thu, 10 August 2006 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Wayne, so do you feel that the Theatre 3 would be a better speaker for me than the Pro 3? Just want to make sure as I am ready to place an order for one of your kits. I want as clean a midrange as I can get since my family is used to the smoothness of the Tempo II, I always thought you were big on the JBLs in that department regarding pure SQ...

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49837 is a reply to message #49836] Thu, 10 August 2006 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
OK, I just registered with your shopping site, I guess the Pro 3 does not exist yet?

Integrating with sub, BR versus sealed? [message #49838 is a reply to message #49834] Thu, 10 August 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I always thought BR alignments were difficult to integrate with subs and a sealed or non-resonant alignment would work better if you planned on always running a sub. Do you have a different perspective/experience regarding you speakers with subs?

Re: Integrating with sub, BR versus sealed? [message #49840 is a reply to message #49838] Thu, 10 August 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most people that use π speakers don't use subs. One exception is the smallest model, the one π Speaker, some people use a sub with it. For those that use subs, they generally crossover around 100Hz, above the Helmholtz frequency of the mains.

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49841 is a reply to message #49837] Thu, 10 August 2006 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't sell Professional three π kits. It's a great speaker, but I didn't make it part of the standard line. I can send you the plans if you're interested though.

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49842 is a reply to message #49836] Thu, 10 August 2006 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might consider the Professional Series four π Speaker. It is an excellent speaker and about the same size as the Theater three π.

Re: New Horn Tweeters? (and any impact to 3 pi designs???) [message #49876 is a reply to message #49841] Thu, 17 August 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ports is currently offline  ports
Chancellor
Wayne....I'd like to get the plans for the Pro 3....which model woofer do they use ?

Thanks....ports.

Professional Series three π loudspeaker [message #49877 is a reply to message #49876] Thu, 17 August 2006 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Professonal Series three π is a mini-monitor style speaker that uses a JBL 2206 and Vifa DX25 in a cabinet the size of a two π, 22"x15"x10" with a 3" diameter port just under 2" long. First-order crossover like the Studio Series one π and two π Speakers.

Send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you the plans.

Previous Topic: driver consult
Next Topic: Say Wayne; What Do You Mean BY Wood Tweeter Horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 17:12:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio