Home » Audio » General » TV Test Pattern - A Blast from the Past
TV Test Pattern - A Blast from the Past [message #4924] Mon, 16 June 2008 22:22 Go to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master

Wayne urged me to post this.

I saw this used as an avatar on another audio website, and it brought back a lot of memories.

http://www.AudioRoundTable.com/images/RCA_Test_Pattern.jpg

That was the classic TV test pattern from the late 30's until well into the 1960's.

I remember that from when I was a kid. One station (we had them all ... all 3... KATC Ch 3 ABC, KPLC Ch 7 NBC, and KLFY Ch 10, CBS) the test pattern would come on right after midnight when the regular programming went off, right after the Star Spangled Banner with a picture of the flag waving. The test pattern would stay on 30 or 40 min and go off, then snow until daybreak. There was also a sine wave test tone transmitted that would drive you bonkers.

Another station ran it all night, then back to regular programming at daybreak.

Back in the early 60's we only had two channels, KLFY Ch 10, CBS in Lafayette, LA, and KPLC Ch 7, NBC in Lake Charles, LA. Remember, no digital tuning, it was a dial, click, click, click.

We were so used to just clicking three clicks back and forth from 10 to 7 to 10 to 7, that we never looked around the rest of the dial.

I was at school, and some other kids were talking about some cartoon I never saw. When does that come on?, I asked. They told me. No, I said, such and such comes on then. They said, no, it's on that new channel, Channel 3.

NEW channel? Channel 3??? Heck, nobody told me!!! I rushed home that afternoon, clicked around to the opposite side of the dial, and Voila! Channel 3! It was a whole new world!

BTW, I was a teenager before I had seen my first color TV, and that was at someone else's house. I didn't know until then that the Wizard of Oz was in black and white until just after the tornado, and when Dorothy wakes up in the Land of Oz everything was in color. It all looked the same on a B&W TV... who knew???

The purpose of the test pattern was to adjust the cameras. The patterns in the corners to adjust pincushion, fill the screen. The Indian Chief, if you will notice, is shaded.

They would put a poster on an easle in front of the camera and adjust it to look like the monitor. From my reading, the monitor would be fed a signal with the testpattern that was etched on a cathode ray tube.

They would switch the monitor back and forth from the CRT with test image to the camera image of the poster until they had the camera exactly matching the CRT image.

The Chief was to get the contrast and brightness correct. The stuff in the corners to get the image square and filled out all over the screen.

I suppose the test pattern was left up until the studio cameras were just right, and being tube gear, I am sure they left the cameras hot until the morning news. Then the test pattern was back on early in the morning I would think as a final check.

Back then all the TV channels had early morning local news, farm reports, weather. Ch 10 KLFY in Lafayette had Passe Partout, which was a morning show in French, news in French, etc. I think they still have it.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/a-taste-of-success-on-klfy-tv-10s-passe-partout/1734343797

They would have some Cajun music, too.

When I was a kid, Passe Partout came on 0600-0700 I think, then the national news in English.

Anyway, that was live from the studio, so the cameras had to be ready to go first thing. The rest of the day was mostly CBS shows, and then local news and such at noon. Then the afternoon soaps, etc.

Dialing for Dollars after the soaps... remember Janice Joplin's "Lord, won't you buy me... a color TV. Dialing for Dollars is trying to reach me." That was an afternoon fad, they showed some classic movie, which I am sure Ted Turner owns now, and at the commercial breaks they called people, and if they answered some question correctly, they won money.

Well, that was TV before color, before cable, in rural America. But we had it all... all three channels.

I'm not sure that now, with 500 channels, we have any better programming. You can still flip through them all and not find anything worth watching.

Maybe if they had Dialing for Dollars again?

Paul

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4926 is a reply to message #4924] Tue, 17 June 2008 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We had 3 network channels in Cleveland, 3, 5 and 8, a fuzzy channel 10 from across Lake Erie in London, Ont., and after awhile, UHF 61.

Channel 10 introduced me to Curling and I've thought strangely of Canadians ever since.

Anybody remember Winky Dink and the plastic sheet you sent away for that let you draw on the screen w/o a spanking? The first video game.

Whatever happened to spankings, anyway?

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4928 is a reply to message #4926] Tue, 17 June 2008 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Spankings... parents quit doing that and our children have suffered for it.

On the other hand, most of our kids are pretty good. You know, TV programming is crap for the most part. And a lot of stuff kids shouldn't be seeing. You have TV aimed at kids that is nothing short of brainwashing.

My favorite shows as a kid... Mr. Wizard and Sky King.

But if given a chance to watch what they want, kids today love to watch Discovery Channel, History Channel. But what really surprised me, my kids used to love watching the same TV shows WE watched, but now on Nickelodeon... Dick Van Dyke, Andy of Mayberry, stuff like that. They laugh at the same things we laughed at when we were that age.

And kids will surprise you. We think kids aren't creative, make things, etc, like we did. I have a photo of a thing one of my friend's boys made.

Not having enough computers in the house, the youngest always got the short end of the stick. So, the three boys scrounged, a video card, an old power supply, a game controller, some other bits and pieces, plugged them together in a shoe box, hook it to the TV in their room with a game adapter. Starts with a paperclip poked in the hole on the power supply. The most expensive thing was the electrical tape. So, the kids can use that to get online and surf the net.

We built crystal radios out of nothing, they built a crude computer.

Paul

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4929 is a reply to message #4928] Tue, 17 June 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
My favorites also Mr. Wizard and Johnny Quest! Oh, and Sea Hunt.

Re: TV Test Pattern - A Blast from the Past [message #4939 is a reply to message #4924] Thu, 19 June 2008 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Irishman is currently offline  The Irishman
Esquire
ici Passe Partout

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=140410&nav=menu61_2_8

Re: TV Test Pattern - A Blast from the Past [message #4940 is a reply to message #4939] Fri, 20 June 2008 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yep, Irishman, that's the one. Still on the air, and the news in the morning is still in French.

"Passe Partout is Acadiana's favorite way to wake up! Get complete news coverage and a look at the day ahead in English and en Francais from Lori Meaux-Steele and Bob Moore."

While some things are still the same, the "Indian Head Test Pattern" is long gone.

Paul

PS Despite living in the middle of "Cajun Country", I don't speak French.

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4942 is a reply to message #4929] Sat, 21 June 2008 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Johnny Quest had some great big band Afrocentric music. Some hot stuff!

Sea Hunt, man, do I remember Sea Hunt!

Richard Diamond, Boston Blackie, Peter Gunn... all great detective shows.

And "Out of the blue of the western sky, it's... Sky King!"

I still think the Cessna 310 is a great looking airplane!

As a kid I was in charge of fixing TV's in our house. I learned to read the tube diagrams. I'd pull the tubes, put them in a shoebox, each one carefully wrapped in an old rag. I'd pedal my bike, shoebox of tubes in the basket, down to a little convenience store that had a tube tester. I'd test the tubes, buy new ones if necessary, pedal back home, reinstall the tubes, and hopefully, the TV would fire up and work. I was all of, oh, 10 or 11 years old when I learned to do that.

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4943 is a reply to message #4942] Sat, 21 June 2008 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Yea, the 310 looks nice, but don't you think that the T-50 had more character? BTW I always felt that the 310, particularly the straight tailed 310A (USAF U-3A "Blue Canoe") a bit skiddish to fly, and a real bear with an engine out.

Bob

Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #4944 is a reply to message #4943] Sat, 21 June 2008 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The 310G looks like it is going 300 knots standing still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xgDfS6_EA

(paste big smiley here)
Re: Cool Chief! We're of an age [message #59402 is a reply to message #4928] Wed, 17 June 2009 21:08 Go to previous message
perry is currently offline  perry
Chancellor
Paul C. wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 16:50

Spankings... parents quit doing that and our children have suffered for it.

On the other hand, most of our kids are pretty good. You know, TV programming is crap for the most part. And a lot of stuff kids shouldn't be seeing. You have TV aimed at kids that is nothing short of brainwashing.

My favorite shows as a kid... Mr. Wizard and Sky King.

But if given a chance to watch what they want, kids today love to watch Discovery Channel, History Channel. But what really surprised me, my kids used to love watching the same TV shows WE watched, but now on Nickelodeon... Dick Van Dyke, Andy of Mayberry, stuff like that. They laugh at the same things we laughed at when we were that age.

And kids will surprise you. We think kids aren't creative, make things, etc, like we did. I have a photo of a thing one of my friend's boys made.

Not having enough computers in the house, the youngest always got the short end of the stick. So, the three boys scrounged, a video card, an old power supply, a game controller, some other bits and pieces, plugged them together in a shoe box, hook it to the TV in their room with a game adapter. Starts with a paperclip poked in the hole on the power supply. The most expensive thing was the electrical tape. So, the kids can use that to get online and surf the net.

We built crystal radios out of nothing, they built a crude computer.

Paul

yeah i agree with you kids of today are smarter now i guess due to the new technology thing..and its availability..very handy..
Previous Topic: Found the crossovers! Thanks Ron & Greg
Next Topic: Help SABA Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:44:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout