Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last
Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last [message #49200] Mon, 27 March 2006 18:13 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Finally got the oil caps; 10 uF with an 8.2 and a 4.2 to make the 22 uF it replaced.

I think maybe the treble is a little smoother but maybe the screaming-yellow-zonker cap was a littl edgy? How's that for an equivo-co-babble!
They look cool, tho'

Re: Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last [message #49202 is a reply to message #49200] Tue, 28 March 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Super groovy cool! I wonder how it would sound with the other HF cap upgraded too.

Re: Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last [message #49203 is a reply to message #49200] Tue, 28 March 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Interesting. The can is the same type of cap that I've used in the past to control ballast output current for high powered UV lamps. Usually those were 600V-2000V caps at anywhere from 12.5uF to 50uF, but its interesting that they would work in for audio applications. Cool.

Re: Yo, Garland! Oil caps at last [message #49210 is a reply to message #49200] Tue, 28 March 2006 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Cool! And do try the other cap as well! ...and I am enjoying the Royal Cable 'though I've not been able to listen much the past month or so. It's definitely different than the magnet wire I have been using, mostly in a fuller bass responce.

G.

Re: Yo, Garland! [message #49216 is a reply to message #49210] Thu, 30 March 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Garland,

Did you replace all 3 caps on the Xover board with oil/motor run? Did you do them one at a time, or alll at once? I already have Auricap/Mills in the attenuator, wanna do something with the other caps.

thanks, Matts

Re: Have you guys seen FredT's review? [message #49217 is a reply to message #49216] Thu, 30 March 2006 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Lot's of good info from Fred and at the North Creek site. I may plunge pretty soon.

Re: Have you guys seen FredT's review? [message #49218 is a reply to message #49217] Fri, 31 March 2006 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
It was curious to me that one poster had commented that Auricaps made his system sound OK with SETs due to their "inherent brightness" augmenting the high freq. roll-off of SETs, but sounded bad with "high end" equipment. I bet it was the Auricaps showing the "high end" stuff for what it really is, ie. bright and harsh. Other caps may just be "smoothing out these problems. My SET system is not lacking in any audible freq range and can sound either very smooth or god awful harsh. It plays what's on the disk.

G.

Re: North Creek [message #49224 is a reply to message #49217] Fri, 31 March 2006 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi Bill,
I have been buying from North Creek since 1996. I have piles of Crescendos, Zens and Ohmites at enough values where I can cascade and comp almost anything. I also play with mixing in Kimbers and Musicaps to see how the stacks character changes. I see FredT's post is getting old so I may do a new write-up specifically on Theater Fours with North Creek cascaded HF sections. I have also tried them with Acoustat, Dynaudio, SkanSpeak, Maggie and JBL consumer stuff. I must admit I didn't know exactly what I was doing on the first couple of tries, but I have voicing down pat now. I can make almost all of those speakers sound alike(at the sweet spot) to the casual listener. I haven't said much about it up to now because it is so subjective. I do think I can responsibly comment without launching into tweak huckster land though. Feel free to question.

Thomas

Re: North Creek [message #49225 is a reply to message #49224] Fri, 31 March 2006 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts_ is currently offline  Matts_
Chancellor
Thomas, what is the scoop on these? How do you formulate the caps on the Xover boards?

Re: North Creek [message #49226 is a reply to message #49225] Sat, 01 April 2006 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
The scoop is that while I always find things on audio product websites that make me roll my eyes, I must say that I agree with all of the subjective descriptions in their promo materials. The Crescendo caps are the most obvious. They really are sweet yet detailed. North Creek also says they are laid back, which I agree with on my Acoustats, but they do not sound laid back with the PSD 2002 on a CH3. Very neutral with the 2002 plus a surprise. The surprise is you better use a meter the first few time you listen loud. The horns do not hurt at all, even at +115 dB at 10 feet or so (DJ duty). I am lucky to have a friend with an almost Identical speaker and the same crossover (except all Solen and Dayton parts) so I can compare whenever I like.

I can't quite tell from my photos, but I believe I'm running a Kimber 5.6uF, North Creek Zen 2.0uF and North Creek Crescendo 1.0uF bypass on the 8uF stack and as best I can tell there are Zen's in 10uF & 4.7uF a Kimber 5.6uF and a Crescendo 1.0uF bypass on the 22uF stack. Not so much a formulation, more like what came out of deconstructed projects. The spacing of sizes is pretty good for a luck shot though. I also have some Crescendo 6uF that have been in the circuit for evaluation. They are overkill in a mixed stack IMHO, and more useful in other speakers to me. The kimbers seem to bring the snare ribbon, sax bite and vocal edge up a little, which my ears need at this point.

Thomas

Previous Topic: Mica foil capacitor
Next Topic: ManualBlock; my back is killing me!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:23:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio