Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tower pic
tower pic [message #48548] Sat, 07 January 2006 08:47 Go to next message
Troy Moore is currently offline  Troy Moore
Esquire
I finally got around to taking a pic of the towers. This was my first attempt at wood finishing and I wasn't too happy with the results. One day I'll probably build a better looking pair of cabinets. In the mean time I'm building a center channel that resembles a studio one with the drivers mounted on the narrow "side" to keep it around 9" tall.

http://tmoore.cjb.cc/speakerpic.html

Re: tower pic [message #48549 is a reply to message #48548] Sat, 07 January 2006 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
They look pretty damn good in the pic! A whole lot beeter than mine right now (still bare MDF). What about the finish don't you like?

Re: tower pic [message #48550 is a reply to message #48548] Sat, 07 January 2006 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think they look great!

Re: Sure look good to me! nt [message #48553 is a reply to message #48548] Sun, 08 January 2006 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: tower pic [message #48554 is a reply to message #48549] Sun, 08 January 2006 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Troy Moore is currently offline  Troy Moore
Esquire
I used 3/4" oak plywood with the corners mitered 45 degrees using a circular saw. When the sides were finished I taped them together, glued the joints, and folded them into a big open ended box. The construction went better than I expected, but the places where the glue had squeezed out and was wiped it off during assembly wouldn't take the stain when I went to finish them. Even after much sanding I couldn't get completely rid of the residual glue. The best tip that I came across was to soak a small piece of 100 grit sandpaper in stain and sand over those spots. This worked pretty well in some areas and not at all in others. The worst spots are on the back of the speakers and on the sides that face the entertainment center, so you really don't notice it too much until you take a closer look, but I sure know about it. Next time I'll work to bring the grain out more and match the finish of the entertainment center better, and stain before gluing, I'm open for any other tips!

Re: tower pic [message #48558 is a reply to message #48554] Sun, 08 January 2006 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's so hard to know how much glue to use on a mitered joint.
Ancient trick for any type of joint is to brush a 3 lb cut of shellac on the wood near the joint. The glue won't stick to it and alcohol is the solvent.
Better is to final finish, stain and topcoat the entire panel before glue up. After all, the glue-up ends the construction and chances to mar the finish. Glue won't stick to varnish or poly or oil, either.
Never wipe glue off raw wood. That let's it enter the pores, especially with a wet rag. Let it dry and then scrape it off.
Hat's off to you for screwing up only the hidden edges:)

Re: tower pic [message #48565 is a reply to message #48554] Mon, 09 January 2006 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spinjack is currently offline  Spinjack
Viscount
Looks well matched to me (in the photo, at least). Nicely done.

Re: tower pic [message #48567 is a reply to message #48558] Mon, 09 January 2006 15:27 Go to previous message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

The type of advice that continues to make it worth checking out the forum.

Best wishes for the new year Bill.

Grant.

Previous Topic: JBL 2225H for 7pi
Next Topic: High freq peak problem?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:09:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers