Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience?
Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience? [message #47801] Mon, 26 September 2005 13:49 Go to next message
ArthurPrince is currently offline  ArthurPrince
Esquire
I was wondering if anyone could share information on their experience in building a pair of the 2 Pi towers. I am considering it myself and am curious what a lot of you used for wood, how difficult you found the construction, and any tips or tricks you might have to share. Any impressions you have about the finished product would be appreciated as well, such as quality of the overall sound, what equipment you're using them with, and how long they took to break-in before they sounded their best. Thanks for any info!

Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience? [message #47802 is a reply to message #47801] Mon, 26 September 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Tower was my very first woodworking project and I had no problems building it at all. The only tools I had at the time was a power drill and a $30 Black/Decker jigsaw. I had all panels cut to size at the store. Just don't make it out of 1" MDF like I did or it becomes too heavy to lift. 5/8" or 3/4" with lots of bracing should be fine.

You can brace with 1x3 or 2x3 as suggested in the plan, but window bracing is easier than you'd think. Arrange the panels so that the top and bottom panels are surrounded by the front, back and sides (ie. dimensions of top and bottom panels is equal to internal dimensions). Cut 2 or 3 additional panels exactly the same size as the top and bottom for each cabinet and use them for window bracing.

The Towers are about 4 cubic ft and if you've never had speakers that size, it's hard to imagine. I've gotten used to large speakers over the past couple of years. I'd suggest you do a mock up with cardboard boxes first to see how they fit and look in your room.

Can't comment on the top end as I built the older piezo version. But the Tower offers excellent dynamics, forward presentation and good bass.

If you're interested, I can also offer my unofficial unendorsed upgrade path to the Theatre-3.

gar.

Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience? [message #47809 is a reply to message #47802] Tue, 27 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I recently finished a pair which are now playing in Speakermans second system. I noticed right away that they sounded 'smooth'. Tubino visited the other night and he said 'easy'. We all 3 agree the bass is quite impressive.
These are built from 3/4 MDF and veneered with paper-backed Walnut. I used what the GarMan calls window-bracing as well. I had some problems installing the fiberglass as I was used to 15" woofer holes; the little 10" hole doesn't leave very good access. Consequently, I would recommend (Duh!) installing the fiberglass before the front or back goes on.
Another thought is that when you listen well off-axis, and only off-axis the bass has a noticeably 'boxy' coloration. Instead of just 2 braces I would use three. I would probbaly also glue 30 LB roofing felt to the inside surfaces before installing the fiberglass. See the link.
The Alpha 10 has a surprisingly good mid-range and the Vifa DX 25 is outstanding. Driven by my Audio Note 300B or Ron's Welborne 300B this is a definite over-acheiver.

Previous Topic: 12 π basshorn - Coming together - Part 1
Next Topic: Help me design a simple and efficient car audio (horn? TL?) sub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:08:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout