Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, a midhorn question please
Wayne, a midhorn question please [message #47558] Thu, 25 August 2005 12:31 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Say, with fall approaching I am dead set on getting the 7 pi project together and have a mid horn Kit question. Originally, I planned on the inexpensive mdf version, but have considered the more exotic wood selections and this is where my question comes in. As I understand it, the kit is basically just the flair itself, not the nifty little cabinet that surrounds it. So if you select one of the non mdf "fancy" woods, my question is how do you match the fancy flair wood to its cabinet. Using mdf and painting satin black didn't raise this question. Do you seek out plywood that has a veneer (or veneer the mdf yourself) of the same hardwood and hope it matches? I assume that for the price I have to come up with my own cabinet and the kit is only the flair, right? I've had these drivers for over a year now and need to get cracking.

Thanks,
Russellc

I'm slowly getting closer

Re: Wayne, a midhorn question please [message #47564 is a reply to message #47558] Thu, 25 August 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You just have to match woods. Perhaps we could ask the cabinet shop to use wood you've specifically chosen. Or they could maybe send you stock to complete the rest of the cabinet. But I think you can match woods and make it look nice.

The thing that makes the midhorn kit attractive is that it is CNC cut and the angles and everything are made precisely for good fit. Miller dowels are used so that clamps aren't required for assembly. The cabinet shop has several jigs specifically made for building them, and they are very precise. Some of the dimensions change slightly depending on whether you use 18mm Baltic Birch, (which is 0.7"), or 3/4" or 5/8" stock. So you don't have to wory about these details when you buy the midhorn flat pack and it's nice to have a precision cut part to start out with.

Re: Wayne, a midhorn question please [message #47573 is a reply to message #47564] Thu, 25 August 2005 17:48 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Oh yes. i would definately buy the flat pack version, a great time saver, I just wish I could buy the entire mid horn cab flat packed as well. Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,
Russellc

Previous Topic: Can this be done?
Next Topic: Anyone have any Pi 8 Construction Pics?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 05:24:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio