Home » Audio » General » Howdy, Buckaroos, got me some of them Bullet plugs
Howdy, Buckaroos, got me some of them Bullet plugs [message #4597] Sat, 17 November 2007 12:04 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Made a 3' pair of IC's using Cardas Micro-twin, 2- 21.5 teflon clad stranded copper with a copper mesh shield. $3.50 a ft.

After a bit of research I decided to combine the 2 21.5 conductors to make 18ga. and use the shield for ground. Blue Jeans cable has a write-up on a test they did using balanced cable with a floating ground and it's RF rejection sucked. That agrees with the opinion of the designer of the Aqvoxx phono stage I reviewed a few months ago.

The Eichmann Bullets are intelligently engineered for the DIY'r. Both the hot and ground have gold-plated scoops to accept the wire and their position allows you to cut to the same length. No using solder as glue to attach the ground to the barrel. Be sure and attach an RCA female before application of heat, the plastic is relatively soft.

$56 and I have a pair of Cardas Golden Section ICs. Let you know if that translates from the Greek to mean they sound good.

Re: Howdy, Buckaroos, got me some of them Bullet plugs [message #4598 is a reply to message #4597] Sun, 18 November 2007 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Bill, fifty-six bucks. Pretty spendy for wire, but then again, that's pretty tame compared to some high-priced interconnects. Let us know what you think.

Re: Howdy, Buckaroos, got me some of them Bullet plugs [message #4599 is a reply to message #4598] Sun, 18 November 2007 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, kinda spendy. I paid exactly the same for a 15' run of Blue Jeans great-sounding new Belden LC-1s with Canare plugs. They're a huge bargain.

Re: Howdy, Buckaroos, got me some of them Bullet plugs [message #4600 is a reply to message #4599] Mon, 19 November 2007 09:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's neat that the ground and venter lugs are the same length. I always cut the wires at different lengths to compensate, and they never seem to align exactly right. One of those simple joys was times they did. So the same-length tabs is a nice touch.

Good advice to attach a female before soldering, by the way. This is smart to do when soldering any connector. Lots of them have gone in the waste bin from overheating while soldering, I expect.

Previous Topic: Meeting?
Next Topic: Bypassing analog stage in CD player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 14:23:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout