Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4 Pi Questions
Theater 4 Pi Questions [message #45162] Thu, 05 August 2004 06:20 Go to next message
Frank Mena is currently offline  Frank Mena
Chancellor
Hi Wayne! I have recently ordered a set of Theater 4 pi's in kit form and had a few questions. First could I get the cabinet plans from you? I don't know if they are included in kit or not. Also, in regards to internal bracing of the 4 Pi's, could you tell me of a good method and what is recommended for stuffing... fiberglas insulation?...what type & or thickness? And finally the last question should the cabinets be made as mirror images of each other?

This will be my first try at making speaker cabinets so please bear with me for all of my questions. There is some pretty good stuff on the craftsmen forum but I just want to make sure!

Thanks in advance!
Frank

Re: Theater 4 Pi Questions [message #45163 is a reply to message #45162] Thu, 05 August 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sorry but I don't think we received your order. Please resubmit it. As for plans, you don't have to buy a kit to get them. Check your mail, I've sent the plans. There is also a printed copy included in the kits.

Use R13 insulation, and line the bottom, back and one side. Install a 1 x 2 every 18" as a brace, and tie opposing panels together. Make them fit snugly so there is a little bit of tension. I like to make the speakers mirror images, every π Speaker pair I've made has been that way.

Re: Theater 4 Pi Questions [message #45164 is a reply to message #45163] Thu, 05 August 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I've re-done the order and it should be properly processed.
Thanks for the plans and answers!!!

Frank

Bracing [message #45165 is a reply to message #45162] Thu, 05 August 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Frank,

My method is not Wayne-approved, but I'm a big fan of "window frame" bracing. It ties all four sides together and, if you are using a table saw, it's easy to get the dimensions right becauses the frames are the same size as the top and bottom. Just cut the braces at the same time and with the same fence settings as the top and bottom. (If you're not going to be using a table saw, then I'd go with Wayne's method.)

The bracing I used for my Pi Studio 2 Towers is illustrated at the attached link.

Re: Bracing [message #45166 is a reply to message #45165] Thu, 05 August 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the link!!! Great pic's!
I was wondering if using a window brace with 4 small holes or windows inside the brace (like a + within a square or "[+]")was acceptible or not or if it would affect the volume of the cabinet and hence the sound. Your method seems a lot easier.

Cheers & Thanks!
Frank

Re: Bracing [message #45167 is a reply to message #45166] Thu, 05 August 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Frank,

By my calculation, if you insert two window braces in the [+] formation you described, cut from 1" MDF, with the side and cross braces 1.5" wide, you'll only displace 0.2 cubic-feet. That's less than 3% of total volume and should not make any noticable difference.

Gar.

Re: Bracing [message #45168 is a reply to message #45166] Thu, 05 August 2004 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Frank,

I was actually thinking that, for a box as wide and deep as a Pi 4, the "4 window" solution would be ideal. Cut the panels, then cut four "windows" in each using either a jigsaw or you could cut four large round circles using a router and Jasper Jig or equivalent. (Adire suggests something similar to the latter for the internal bracing of their subs.)

Re: Theater 4 Pi Questions [message #45169 is a reply to message #45162] Fri, 06 August 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Good luck with them Frank, be sure and post some pics of them after your finished.

Re: Theater 4 Pi Questions [message #45170 is a reply to message #45169] Fri, 06 August 2004 08:57 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm truly looking forward to making these speakers. It might take me a little while but I'll try and have pictures posted of the building process.

Thanks again!
Frank Mena

Previous Topic: Pi sevens in a big room
Next Topic: thank you wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 07:27:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers