Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I have seen the LIGHT!!!
I have seen the LIGHT!!! [message #44186] Thu, 18 March 2004 15:25 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
The light on the crossovers of my Theater 4 Pi speakers. You know, the little red light you can see through the port hole that warns you when your speakers are really being PUMPED. Oh, what a feeling. What sound!!!
I have been breaking in my Theater 4s for several weeks now. So today, I knocked on my neighbors' doors warning them I would be turning up my new speakers for a few minutes. Then I really cranked them for the first time. The db level was scary. I wish I would have thought to use my SPL meter. I had the speakers running through a 250 watt SS amp and a Bottlehead Foreplay. I walked outside my back door as the speakers played. I noticed an elderly neighbor from my block actually dancing in the street. She was across the street from my apartment, and I live on the fifth floor. What a site.
Tight, fast bass. Scary dynamics.
Honestly, I prefer low-level listening late at night. The Theater 4s are wonderful in this regard with their resolution and clarity.
I tried switching my Foreplay with a quality SS preamp. I noticed the sound was a little fuller, a tad more bass. However, the music S-L-O-W-E-D. Honestly, it was like the music was on a heavy dose of Zanex. The attack and decay simply perished.
It's wonderful how much the Theater 4s can reveal a change in your system. I am going to have years and years of fun tweaking, moding and all around playing with these speakers. Wayne, thanks for your design and commitment to the world of DIY. Also, thanks to Wayne everyone here on the Forum for their time, patients and help in building my first pair of DIY speakers. They are, by far, the best pair of speakers I have ever owned. All for less than $800. Life is good.

Re: Yeah! [message #44187 is a reply to message #44186] Thu, 18 March 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nothing like a 'live' album cranked all the way up until you can hear the hall ambience along with the chest pounding drums and bass. That's clean output. That's horns. Yeah!

Re: Yeah! [message #44190 is a reply to message #44187] Thu, 18 March 2004 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Those are really amazing speakers aren't they? Nothing else like low distortion high output horns. Live sound. Last summer, a guy down the block asked me when my " jazz band practiced." He He, yep that was the day I tried to hit the lights too!
Take care,
Steve

LOL !!! I love it !! < NT > [message #44198 is a reply to message #44186] Fri, 19 March 2004 19:23 Go to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
NT

Previous Topic: Speaker Problem - Wiring???
Next Topic: What's this 1.4" throat thing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 00:41:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio