Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » AC cct troubles
AC cct troubles [message #43034] Fri, 14 November 2003 19:42 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
hi !
wayne-ok to post here? i thought it would be ok,and you would know to answer it too.

i was doing some revision,and used an online site for a textbook because we dont get decent ones that tell us what we need to know...

ok i was reading my notes,and i have one method that i understand,but cant tell if its a correct example,and the 2nd one,is an 'answer' to a question i did in an assignment,problem is i completely have no idea what hes doing in it.

thanks alot!

i know its simple,yet my tutor hasnt explained it well in a way i can use.

i have looked at a site but it uses different methods...(listed at bottom)

is this correct ??
(AC Parallel circuit.)
Obviously Convert mH or F into Xl/Xc Reactance

eg
5Ω

work out angle if any resistance included =
eg
ta-1= Xl/r
=-53°

Z = 5 Ω

Re: AC cct troubles [message #43036 is a reply to message #43034] Fri, 14 November 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
ok so im fine getting up to finding the I in each path..
Il=2.11A
Ic=3.14A
Ir=8.33A

Then, Tan ø =Xl/R=82°
(why is the angle of the Xl worked out ONLY ? )

Dont worry! i just realised that the way he worded the question(extremely strangely) that its infact
in parallel
resistor,
cap,
inductor+resistor
which explains WHY the angle was calculated for that,haha stupid wording of questions could save so much effort if written properly!

as to the funny sin,cos stuff at the end im not sure,i need a Triangle.. to imagine whats going on

Re: AC cct troubles [message #43040 is a reply to message #43036] Sat, 15 November 2003 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What I've always done was to first find all reactive impedances. Then one can find total impedance which will allow finding total current. For simple circuits having only a single resistance and reactance, there are simplified formulas; Complex networks require calculation using vectors. You can also find current through each branch, by knowing reactive impedance and voltage across the node. But as you know, the sum of all branch currents will not be equal to total current because of power factor, i.e. phase angle.
Re: AC cct troubles [message #43044 is a reply to message #43040] Sat, 15 November 2003 14:06 Go to previous message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
Thanks wayne

ive made an excel spreadsheet which works out the currents through each part and angle,im working on the Total Z and total I and total phase angle now :-)

Previous Topic: paramours with 4pi
Next Topic: Horn-Loading a Delta 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:09:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout