Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Society for the Clothing of Speakers; Bmar, pres.
Society for the Clothing of Speakers; Bmar, pres. [message #42748] Mon, 20 October 2003 16:01 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Okay, not naked anymore. And the imaging! The clarity! Even better than the 5 button radio in my late lamented '64 Pontiac Tempest with transaxle and coffee grinder Iron Duke.

I'll be showing these at C.E.S. in the U.P.S. room.
Merry Pranks Website
Creating is more like performing than listening

Speaking of messing around with stuff................. [message #42750 is a reply to message #42748] Mon, 20 October 2003 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I like the really wierd shit, like when I put nOrh 3.0's on my 2245's for a two way system. The dust caps on the 2245 are bigger than the driver in the 3.0's.....and might weigh more for all I know!.......and the thing sounded great!!! Yep, actually did!! Okay, on paper it can be scoffed at, but my reasoning was that if the 3.0s are decent from anywhere around 120-150 and up to whatever (and they are), then why not? Let the 18's run up a bit and see what happens. What happens is it works and makes good music. I used an old dbx unit that functions as a xover, sending 180ish and down to the subs. The only drawback is SPL; the 3.0 runs out of ability to play very loud pretty quickly, and that poor little 3 inch driver has to move in and out way more than you'd think it should; not sure about distortion, but I tried to keep much bass out of them. Vocals were really good. This was a freaky nearfield experience, really freaky with Butterfields demo disc on vocals. Just not large SPL and therefore dynamically limited, but cool for a smallish room. And funny to look at.
"What is your system"?
"An 18 inch 38 lb driver crossed to a gnats ass".

next time try....... [message #42753 is a reply to message #42748] Tue, 21 October 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
the green masking tape. it seems to help with imaging.

george

Re: Society for the Clothing of Speakers; Bmar, pres. [message #42757 is a reply to message #42748] Tue, 21 October 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

BAM!

That's what I'm talkin' about!

There's no reason to go any further.

All jokes aside - I heard some little Fostex drivers in a bass-reflex box that sounded great. Much better than I expected, and not a whole lot more to 'em than that. The cabinetry was nice, to be sure, but in a sense, they were similar - Not much more than an 8" speaker in a box.

Maybe the difference is the whiskey bottle?

Maybe... [message #42758 is a reply to message #42757] Tue, 21 October 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Quote:"Maybe the difference is the whiskey bottle?"

Only if you're the one who emptied it... ;-)

Re: Society for the Clothing of Speakers; Bmar, pres. [message #42764 is a reply to message #42748] Tue, 21 October 2003 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

do you find the imaging and soundstage to be better with the grills off?

is that solid cardboard or feneer?

Oooh, them are nice [message #42820 is a reply to message #42748] Tue, 28 October 2003 03:32 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I find that a couple of wine bottles work as well as a JD bottle to smooth the response and add great highs. Doesn't really matter where in the room you chunk 'em.
Nice oldish receiver.

John

Previous Topic: check out these speakers on Audiogon.
Next Topic: I have some drivers for sale on Audiogon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:44:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout