Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone who could model new 18db/oct High Pass @950Hz?
Anyone who could model new 18db/oct High Pass @950Hz? [message #42519] Thu, 18 September 2003 11:40 Go to next message
-3db is currently offline  -3db
Esquire
Dear Anyone Kind who could model this for me,

custom designed Xover: Fc = approx 950Hz 18db/oct different sort of filter: LCL

So input parallel shunt inductor of 1.3mH into polyprop 42uf series cap into parallel shunt inductor of 1.3mH.

The input inductor has a 25 ohm resistor in series plus DCR of .6 ohm: ouput inductor also has a DCR of .6 ohm driving an Lpad driving an 8 ohm Selenium D210ti compression driver.

The result I am getting seems like way too low Fc, and high distortion. I have no test equipment or even test CD now.

I think the high inductor leg resistor is too high, but I don't know. I havedone the best I can to make this thing work.

I designed a similar style filter with excellent results at 5khz, however I had only a 4 ohm resistor in the input leg.

Any Modeling would be great.

Thanks Sincerely,
-3db

Spice [message #42521 is a reply to message #42519] Thu, 18 September 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check the circuit in Spice, and don't forget to accurately model the source and load impedance, including reactance. This is very important in speaker circuits, because the load is usually nearly as reactive as the parts in the crossover.

There are some sample crossover circuits in the archive above, so you can see how to use the program. You'll be able to simply edit the files to make your circuit model.

Wayne

Re: LCL is NOT a hp configuration [message #42525 is a reply to message #42519] Fri, 19 September 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
and I would suggest 1)stop listening to who suggested it or 2)pickup up a basic speaker design text or 3)go to
www.selectproducts.com/calculators.htm
and input your driver Z's and desired xover freq. Good luck. Sam
Re: 210ti unsuitable for 2 ways? [message #42526 is a reply to message #42525] Fri, 19 September 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
what part of "minimum recommended crossover frequency 2000Hz./12dB octave" is unclear?
I would imagine results at 950 Hz. WOULD suck. This driver has a huge z peak at 2 kHz., and a 4 dB rise from 2 kHz. to 4 or 5kHz. shown on the PE site's spec sheet. Looked decent at first glance for use in a 3 way system, although I did not look closely at the upper end response. Not sure what advantage they would have over the venerable psd-2002 in this price range:) Sam

8 ohm, 3rd order HP, the online calculator showed 14uF series input cap, 1.0 mH shunt inductor, and 42uF series output cap to the lpad/driver for a desired Fc of 950Hz, btw.

Need a pair of PSD2002's [message #42529 is a reply to message #42526] Fri, 19 September 2003 15:57 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I have a set if you are interested
Kelly
Previous Topic: we're still here, and partying our
Next Topic: Audiophile Posters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 04:38:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio