Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How do you tell when a horn "unloads"?
How do you tell when a horn "unloads"? [message #42262] Fri, 22 August 2003 10:08 Go to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
OK, I have these big EV 2ft by 4 ft (at the mouth) mid horns that go down to 100-150 hz or so. The ev D12x woofer/mid in a 1 cubic ft box that drives these monsters has response to 55 hz. Can I feed pink noise into one of them (outdoors) and use an RTA to see where the response drops off? Or should I use a sine wave and SPL meter? Or should I measure the dimensions and try hornresp?

The object is to have the lowest crossover point for active triamping.

The subs (folded horns) have Delta 15s (2 in each, 16 ohm in parallel),and supposededly could go to 1000 hz or so, but sound real tubby much above 250 Hz.

EV hp940 horns /w ev DH1A drivers on the tops.

(PA use, but boy does it sound good with CDs!)

Thanks

Larry Acklin

Measure or model it [message #42263 is a reply to message #42262] Fri, 22 August 2003 12:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suppose any of those methods of determining response is fine. I'd probably prefer the modeling method, because it's hard to get accurate measurements with inexpensive measurement equipment, particularly indoors at low frequencies. When measuring below 500Hz or so, it is best to take measurements outside. Set the horn on its back, facing up. You might want to mount the horn on a baffle and test it that way, because that will most likely have different response than it does off the baffle. Or you can dig a pit and lower the horn into it, with the mouth flush with the ground.

Previous Topic: Eminence Sensitivity Link
Next Topic: because this forum is good,il post here
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 18:17:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout