Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » bang for buck
bang for buck [message #41402] Fri, 16 May 2003 13:56 Go to next message
DrivebyMessiah is currently offline  DrivebyMessiah
Esquire
hi - i've been using a sound system based around these components: a computer with audio files - good sound card with an optical output - a sony 550 watt A/V receiver [STR-DE925 if anyone is familiar with models, purchased 1998 or 1999 i think]. and a pair of sansai 3 way 3 foot high 1.25 foot wide floor speakers. I don't know much about them other than they sounded nice enough for a long time, were probably originally puchased by .. someone in the early 80's. i dont think they're of all that great quality and probably have a power handling around 200 watts, give or take. The problem is the sound is starting to get fuzzy, distorted, and seems to continue to deteriorate.

So - I was just wondering if anyone had advice on biggest bang-for-buck sound given my remaining components. They'd be functioning in a small room, most likely - bedroom or study. I'm considering any scheme [2 speakers. 5 speakers. 2 monitors and a sub, 2 towers]. I would aim for a price ceiling of 350-400 dollars - but spending less is always good. I'm a fan of high quality sound but reasonable - i know most people won't hear much above 16khz so it's not like i need 22khz frequency response because it's supposed to be in human hearing.

What wisdom have ye audiophiles have for me?

Re: bang for buck [message #41403 is a reply to message #41402] Fri, 16 May 2003 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd suggest Theater Series three π speakers. They are a great sounding speaker in a relatively small package - Small for this type of speaker anyway. The two π towers are also hugely popular and sound great, especially for the price. And in at that price point, you might also consider the standard two π and the one π models too. They are much smaller, and work very well in a small bedroom.

Re: foam rot [message #41404 is a reply to message #41402] Fri, 16 May 2003 14:18 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Is the deteriorated sound because the sansui woofer surrounds have rotted? Might be worth having them redone. Your 350-400 budget, would you be planning on building the new enclosures/speakers yourself? Or are you looking for a "turn-key" solution? Sam

Previous Topic: Lunar eclipse
Next Topic: "The Police", 'LIVE!'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:09:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout