Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The Ps (Sam and Wayne) made me do it
The Ps (Sam and Wayne) made me do it [message #41333] Tue, 13 May 2003 12:44 Go to next message
tdc is currently offline  tdc
Baron
After reading the posts about the JBL 4648s upper limit being controlled by interference between the dual woofers a bit above 800 hz. I decided to try something new. The pi design use a single 2226 to 1600hz but the plan is now stay down at 500 hz with the dual 2226j) 4648as. I ordered 4 2123j (16 ohm) tent sale 10 inch mids. The new system will be two 4648as per side ( 4 x15 inch woofers per side or 8 for stereo) dual 2123Js ( 2 per side) and one 2426/2370 horn. The mid-horn crossover will be Pi at 1600hz. I think Wayne suggested using a true Butterworth crossover in this application.So we replace the one cap per crossover used to convert the Butterworth to pseudo Butterworth. I don't yet know the exact eff. of dual 2123j parallel wired in a single box or whether to build two seperate boxes for the mids per side. Anyway the resistor load for the horn is open for experiment. The bottom with be an active crossover at 500 with seperate amps for each 4648a. Magnatar is doing a dual 2124j system with a ribbon and I will be following his ideas as well. Only really worry is the possible need to build a new and larger music room. Till then I will probably have to use the barn and leave the tractors out in the rain. This is going to take a while so don't look for any rapid info on the progress. Oh yea, my wife is now suggesting an 11 step treatment program for audio addiction. tdc
Re: Great Mids [message #41340 is a reply to message #41333] Tue, 13 May 2003 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

You should like those 2123's. ruler flat from 300 well past your crossover point.
Good stuff! [message #41341 is a reply to message #41333] Tue, 13 May 2003 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This configuration is something that Ken R. is doing as well. He's building a very similar system with a pair of fifteens, a midrange horn and an HF horn. Ken sometimes posts as "Razzman" and also has a pair of Audiophile Series seven π speakers, which contain a JBL 2245, JBL 2123 and JBL 2426. This is the way all π cornerhorns were made in the past, and it is a very good implementation of that type of system.

The configuration [message #41342 is a reply to message #41340] Tue, 13 May 2003 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I forgot to mention the configuration plan. Its like Yuchi's big system.A vertical stack with the 4648as laying sideways and the two mids and one horn positioned between the two woofer systems where the Japanese system has two horns.The whole thng goes on a rack of heavy 2x4 or2x6 framing and is covered with finished ply wood to copy the Yuchi system. In otherwords a shameless copy of (or tribute to)the Japanese TAD driver based supersystem using Red Blooded American (JBL)Parts and one Pi crossover..tdc
Re: very nice! [message #41344 is a reply to message #41342] Tue, 13 May 2003 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Now you need some American wood horns! sorry couldnt resist :)

I run five a side myself. JBL drivers that is. I think you'll be real happy with what you have. 1 18" powered sub would be enough if you ever wanted more low end.

Bill

On my wish list [message #41345 is a reply to message #41344] Tue, 13 May 2003 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yes, your horns would be great and are on the wish list. Wayne recommended them and they would be a great touch on the front of the final wood cabinet. I imagine a contrast in wood color between the huge cabinet and your horns. The horns would become the picture in the frame. This may also be the largest speaker to ever wear the new Pi decals Wayne sent me last week?? We are setting up a shop in one small unused barn to construct the frames. However, the rains here in California may have finally stopped? and if so ,I have a lot of tractor driving time to complete in the fields before I can get back to the joys of speaker building. The project in on line for late summer of early fall. I thought I should get the 2123js before JBL sold them all. tdc
Re: The Ps (Sam and Wayne) made me do it [message #41346 is a reply to message #41333] Tue, 13 May 2003 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
You're on your way to a very fun rig.............and you are right, the room will start to play an even bigger role: a barn is good!!!! Pictures are required during the process, and at completion. Fun stuff, eh?

Re: On my wish list [message #41347 is a reply to message #41345] Tue, 13 May 2003 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I got your rain right here! Its been wet and cold and not getting better for some days.

Bill

Pi portable [message #41348 is a reply to message #41346] Tue, 13 May 2003 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
We are getting a digital camera and will do photos. I am sure ( my wife is too ,if you get my meaning) that no larger system will be built and installed in our house unless I want to move into the barn. Hey, she has a Pi pro 4, altec a-7 and a Karlson thing in here now and space is running out ,good kid.So I want photos too. Maybe we will call if the Pi portable system and compete will the Kloss fm radio. Funny thing about women, they hate to look at loudspeakers and don't like to give up floor space but their hearing is another matter. They can hear a slight change in a loudspeaker two rooms away and complain if it isn't right. Too much bass honey, the high are wrong , it doesn't sound right ect, ect. tdc
Womens hearing... [message #41353 is a reply to message #41348] Wed, 14 May 2003 02:00 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Yes, as far as I know women are better at hearing distortion than men, in general...
Previous Topic: More two way questions...
Next Topic: Could I squeeze a 2pi into this cabinet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 08:19:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio