Home » Audio » General » Tubes or Solid State?
Tubes or Solid State? [message #404] Fri, 23 April 2004 13:22 Go to next message
tailgunner is currently offline  tailgunner
Esquire
I realize this is a potentially charged question so please put your flamethrowers on low heat. What is the attraction of tube amps and don't you think that modern technology brings with it certain advantages?

Re: Tubes or Solid State? [message #405 is a reply to message #404] Fri, 23 April 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
For me, it's simple. I like the sound of tubes. Here's a link that you may find interesting.

Re: Tubes or Solid State? [message #406 is a reply to message #405] Fri, 23 April 2004 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Without stating an opinion, here is another interesting link or three:

• Vacuum Tube Basics

• "A Taste of Tubes"

• Vacuum Tubes
  • I am assuming that you already know the advantages of solid state, i.e. size, reliability, longevity, etc. So these links might round out your knowledge base and help show some merits in the old school.

Some say valves just sound better, in spite of the increased low-order distortion. Some claim that they have less high-order distortion, and there is little doubt that they clip smoother, with rounded corners at saturation, so there is some merit in that. And another thing that's kinda funny is that I'm told they aren't damaged by EMP, so they'll survive a nuclear blast or UFO.

Seriously, I own both solid state and tube amps and they both are nice. The glow of tubes is nostalgic. They're mesmerizing like a fireplace, and hi-fi tube amps don't sound like you might expect. It isn't like the 1940's public address sound that people unfamiliar with good tube hi-fi might imagine. They sound very nice.

Re: Tubes or Solid State? [message #407 is a reply to message #404] Sat, 24 April 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
    Grand Master
    Tailgunner,

In the most recent issue of TAS there was a "forum" of TAS writers, all or virtually all of whom preferred tubes. When it came to explaining why, they all sounded like morons, coming up with explanations that would make Douglas Self blow a gasket.

The bottom line is there's just something about tubes that, for me and many others, makes listening to them less fatiguing and more musical. When I bought my first "high end" system, ss, I found myself listening less over time. When I listened to a tube amp, I found myself listening more. Maybe I'm deluded by the beautiful glow. Maybe I love distortion rather than "accurate" ss sound. I don't give a hoot.

The bottom line is, in my view, you owe it to yourself to listen to a tube amp and make your own choice. Many have been seduced.

Re: Tubes or Solid State? [message #408 is a reply to message #404] Sat, 24 April 2004 08:45 Go to previous message
    Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Check out K&K Audio site he is serious and knowlredgable without being strident and opinionated. Seems less global negatve feedback in tube designs helps, as well as Waynes statement concerning less high order distortion. Just remmember the deeper you get into this the more confusing it becomes. Just read a site from one of the major engineering papers that claims the model of electron flow currently used is all wrong and that in actuality electrons just jiggle around, they don't really flow. Go Figure. From the movie I Walked With A Zombie, "There are more things between heaven and earth than man is meant to know".

Previous Topic: FSAudioWeb
    Next Topic: Anonymity
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 08:26:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout