Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Hometheatre System
Pi Hometheatre System [message #38376] Fri, 20 September 2002 03:16 Go to next message
ozzi is currently offline  ozzi
Baron
Since I have abandoned my idea of building the theatre 4pi's, I have decided to build a complete speaker system for hometheatre (5.1 system)

I will be building the Studio twopi towers for the fronts, and Studio onepi's for the rears (the Studio 2s are a bit too bulky for the walls) Provided however that I can get the Alpha 8s for cheaper than the Alpha 10s. For the centrefront speaker, I would like any suggestion on whether I should use the 1pi or the 2 pi. I am currently favouring the one pi because of the size and because I do not need a lot of low end for the centre and rears. If anyone has built a small HT System like this, please tell me about your experience.

To Round off the Hometheatre System, I of course need a subwoofer. I Currently have two options 1. To buy and active sub with nothing bigger than a 10 or 12 inch woofer or 2. To use one of the Eminence Delta 15s that I have for this purpose. I would then need advice on the following.
1. What suggestions do you guys have for building a smaller sized subwoofer.
2. If I use the Delta 15 I would like to build as small as possible with a decent low bass. Although I like Bill Martinelli's sub, I don't have the space for it. Recently someone also suggested (I can't find the posting) using the Theatre 4pi without the high Frequency devices, but is this the smallest box? And do I need a low pass filter of any kind?
Your comments will be helpfull

My budget will not allow me to buy a Hometheatre amp right away, So I will be using my existing amplifiers to run the system. The Front and Rear I can run from my Denon RCD 100
http://www.denon.de/seitenhifi/seitenrecei/rcd100frame.html

And the sub and centre cannel with My Hybrid A 800B amp, using a channel for each one.
http://www.tramps.co.za/hybrid.htm
And If I should throw a party, I'll hook up the towers to either the Hybrid or a Samson S700 Amp (which I normally use for my DJing).
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ampeq.htm
That should keep me happy until I get a very decent Hometheatre amp.

I await your comment/advice.

BTW have a good week end all.

Re: Pi Hometheatre System [message #38379 is a reply to message #38376] Fri, 20 September 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For a small subwoofer cabinet, I suggest the using Delta 12LF. The Delta 15 really needs a large box to perform well, from 5.0ft3 to 20.0ft3 tuned to 25-30Hz. But the Delta 12LF can be used in a box from 2.0ft3to 6.0ft3 tuned to 35-40Hz.
Re: Pi Hometheatre System [message #38383 is a reply to message #38376] Fri, 20 September 2002 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boblaz is currently offline  boblaz
Chancellor
I built a Pi speaker system for my brothers new home theater. Five 1 Pi speaker systems for front l-r, rear surround l-r and rear center. A double 1 Pi for the center (2 alpha 8s and 1 peizo high frequency driver. All powered by 100 watts from an Onkyo receiver driving full range. Sub frequencies are cover by a single 12cu.ft. ported enclosure with 2 EV 15Bs powered by 400 watts crossed over at 40 hz with a 12db slope. Everyone that hears this system is astounded by it's clarity and impact.
I recommend Pi's for home theater. Go for it!!!
Re: Pi Hometheatre System [message #38384 is a reply to message #38383] Fri, 20 September 2002 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That must be killer!
I've been wondering myself about 2 woofs and a piezo tweet for a center channel; I've been using phantom center.
Would a better dispersion for the dialogue perhaps involve 2 tweets or are the woofers handling enough of the range? I have a chart for musical instruments and singing voice Hz but not dialogue. Can 2 or 3 people sit in a row and not have voices coming from the wrong places?
BTW, one of the worst movies but an amazing you-are-there soundtrack is XXX with that Diesel guy. My daughters dragged me to see it (oooh, he's so gorgeous)and then laughed all the way thru! There is however the best snowboard stunt scene in history.
Re: Pi Hometheatre System [message #38390 is a reply to message #38384] Sat, 21 September 2002 05:45 Go to previous message
boblaz is currently offline  boblaz
Chancellor
I have not heard any tone, localization problems with the center channel. The center cabinet is 2 x's the volume of the single 1 Pi with 2 ports but, only one high frequency driver with no crossover components as per Wayne's plans.

It does sound awesome - very smooth with tremendous impact while not taking up a tremendous amount of space.

Previous Topic: Pi 4 with 2226h plan request.
Next Topic: Horn Loading
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:00:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout