Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » ZMAX How ?
ZMAX How ? [message #37818] Thu, 15 August 2002 18:09 Go to next message
Ciscokid is currently offline  Ciscokid
Esquire
Hi,

Sorry for such a basic question. However, I did a search on this subject and seemed to not be able to narrow down to specific answer. So here is my question.

How do you derive the ZMAX of a speaker?

Best regards,
ck

ZMAX - Maximum impedance, impedance at resonance [message #37821 is a reply to message #37818] Thu, 15 August 2002 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The maximum impedance of a speaker is found at resonance. You can measure it with a test resistor, an oscilloscope or meter and a signal generator. The test resistor is placed in series with the speaker, and you will measure the voltage divided between the speaker and the resistor at its maximum point. Use a resistor value equal to the expected Zmax, between 50 and 200 ohms. The value should be precisely known because you will use it as a reference point; The division of voltage between the resistor and the speaker at resonance is used to calculate Zmax.

The resonant frequency is where the voltage across the speaker is highest, and across the resistance is lowest. At this point, perform two simple measurements:

1. Measure the voltage across the known-value reference resistor. Calculate current using Ohm's Law:

I = E / R

2. Measure the voltage across the speaker. At resonance, speaker impedance is purely resistive so the voltage across the speaker should be equal to the source voltage minus the drop from the resistor. Double check that this is true, and also calculate Zmax using the voltage across the speaker and the calculated current:

Zmax = E / I

Speaker impedance is purely resistive at only at resonance, so these simple formulas will only work at this particular frequency. Reactive circuit formulas using vectors must be used to calculate impedance at other frequencies. But for Zmax, this simple measurement is perfectly adequate.

Re: ZMAX - Maximum impedance, impedance at resonance [message #37836 is a reply to message #37821] Fri, 16 August 2002 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ciscokid is currently offline  Ciscokid
Esquire
Thanks Wayne,

I was hoping that it would be a matter of taking the THIELE/SMALL parameters and deriving the ZMAX. I notice a lot of speaker manufactures provide those numbers, however; they don't seem to provide the ZMAX.

Is there a way to tell from the THIELE/SMALL parameters weather a particular speaker would be good for a low powered tube amp?

Best regards,
ck

Re: ZMAX - Maximum impedance, impedance at resonance [message #37840 is a reply to message #37836] Fri, 16 August 2002 13:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There was an earlier discussion about something like this. Check the thread called "piAlign software and figuring Zmax".
Previous Topic: converting port size
Next Topic: Corner Horn Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:21:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout