Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wooden Horn Update
Wooden Horn Update [message #34523] Sun, 23 December 2001 07:03 Go to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for attempting to gather some info on the wooden horns. Details are few and far between. From what I've gathered the people who purchase these don't care about response curves or modeling software to design sound systems. It's more of a life long experiment to determine what sounds best. I have contacted Bruce Edgar directly and his advice is 650 hz. tractix horn (his smallest) for the 2426 driver. He recommends a 800 hz. crossover point, and would go no lower. He recommends a 25 mfd cap on the compression driver while using a second order network on the bass driver. I would imagine that we could utilize a round horn and keep our original crossover points and slopes. It then may be possible to experiment with various degrees of top octave compensation since we don't really know what's going on up there.... Or use a pair of 2370's with established measurements and be done or perhaps fabricate a pair of 2370 clones from wood, what do you think about that? Happy Holidays! Jerrod

Re: Wooden Horn Update [message #34524 is a reply to message #34523] Sun, 23 December 2001 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd love to have wood horns with a radial 90x40 pattern. I've been enamoured with the wood horn offerings from TAD, from JK Audio and the DIY information from Yuichi.

I'd like to find a manufacturer somewhere in North America willing to make horns like these. The cost would undoubtedly be fairly high because they are relatively labor-intensive. They can't be made on a lathe and would require CNC machining and assembly. But they would be the cream of the crop, in my opinion.

Re: Wooden Horn Update [message #34526 is a reply to message #34524] Sun, 23 December 2001 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The more I look at the Yuichi design, the more simple it becomes. A bowl turning that's not scooped out; cut exactly in half; mortised with a horizontal boring rig fitted with an end mill and the various triangles and trapezoids glued in place.And of course a turning for the thingy that attaches the compression doohickey.
For whatever reason Yuichi chose a lamination for his bowl, solid stock could also be used. That thickness should be dimensionally stable in almost any hardwood. I like the acoustic properties of mahogany and maple in that order. Mahogany is easier to acquire in 16/4 and more stable in central-heating-land.

C'mon Garland, you can do it!

Re: Wooden Horn Update [message #34528 is a reply to message #34523] Sun, 23 December 2001 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Bates is currently offline  Mike Bates
Chancellor
Funny how some people won't take the advice from folks that actually use the horns. The horns load to around 3k and start rolling off. Just use a simple series shelf and an impedence eq. This might take a couple hours of experimenting, measuring, and listening, no big deal or major project. Just do it! I agree with Bruce Edgar, I think a first order crossover sounds best on the high pass. The lowpass will determined by the bass driver response.

My "life long" experiment probably won't end until I'm dead. So what? Some people never get started -- and some people never really finish. Starting comes easy for me, and the strive to finish is what makes the journey interesting. A way for you to start is to buy some of Bruce's little 650 cycle horns or a pair of SB 500 cycle horns. They really aren't expensive seeing they will last you a lifetime.

Mike Bates

Re: Wooden Horn Update [message #34529 is a reply to message #34526] Mon, 24 December 2001 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Yeah, that's what I thought! I just have to find the time! First comes the theater 4's, Then the Paramours, and amongst all this is squeezing in time to change diapers and run the kids here and there and even put in some time at work!? Oh yes, I forgot to mention my wife?!?
The fabrication does not really look too involved; I'd approach it just like you said, right down to the doohickey!

Garland

cut the "bowl" turning into quarters, [message #34530 is a reply to message #34526] Mon, 24 December 2001 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
attach side panels, and you would have a PAIR of 45 degree horns from one turning. I'm looking at my wifes' antique wood fruit bowl with "saw hungry" eyes right now, but she'll be home from work too soon! Sam
really meant four 90 degree horns!(nt) [message #34531 is a reply to message #34530] Mon, 24 December 2001 07:29 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
nt
Previous Topic: Crossover help: more confused than ever!
Next Topic: Horn Lens for Theater 4 Pi - Eminence H295 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 01:18:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio