Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Capacitors
Capacitors [message #33653] Thu, 09 August 2001 18:18 Go to next message
AlexB is currently offline  AlexB
Esquire
I am considering a 3rd-order subwoofer design, which requires 2500uf of capacitors. Where can 500uf or larger capacitors be found?
Re: Capacitors [message #33654 is a reply to message #33653] Thu, 09 August 2001 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
You can get large value non-polarized electrolytics. The best ones in my opinion are Black Gates. But you won't find them in values anywhere close to 2500uF. You'll have to put several in parallel to get that much capacitance.
Re: Capacitors [message #33655 is a reply to message #33654] Thu, 09 August 2001 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne: I had written you about active crossovers recently... what kind of caps are best for this purpose... more likely to be close to marked value, etc? Are 5% resistors close enough?

As you know, I was looking at xover freq in 800 hz range, for a two way system. So, my questions are:

Is 12 db/oct rolloffs enough, or should I go for 18 or 24 db/oct?

If I cascade two 12 db/oct filters, the Fx point will be -6 db instead of -3 db. Should I overlap the hi pass and low pass a little more?

I had sent you active filter topologies I had gotten from two different sources... one from a Radio Shack op amp book, where all C = C and all R = R. Values were computed from Fx = 1/(2piRC). The second was the same topology, but values were not equal, and it was described as "Butterworth". I am more the KISS type, and was leaning toward the former equal value circuit.

As op amps, resistors and caps are cheap these days, I am leaning toward 24db/oct. (I remember as a kid paying $1.50 for a diode for a "crystal radio". Oh, I could pick up two stations with mine!)

Suggestions?

Re: Capacitors [message #33657 is a reply to message #33655] Fri, 10 August 2001 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I prefer metal foil caps, with a good dialectric such as some of the plastics, ceramics or oil. Those are only available in small values. Next best are the metalized films. Non polarized electrolytics aren't usually very good, with Black Gates being a notable exception.
Re: Capacitors [message #33658 is a reply to message #33657] Sat, 11 August 2001 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AlexB is currently offline  AlexB
Esquire
Thanks for the commentary. I found some large value (500uf and 1000uf) Bennic bipolar caps on the Madisound site. If I pursue my small 3rd order box subwoofer project I will probably have a few more questions.
Active Filters [message #33659 is a reply to message #33657] Sat, 11 August 2001 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne: I found this link:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3

and it is to a page with info on Linkwitz-Reilly filters. This one shows a 24 db/oct two way.

The topology and values are the same as those I sent you from the old Spkr Builder article. The formula is slightly different, but the results end up being the same. For example, in one, caps might me C and C/2, and the other 2C and C, but once you ran all the numbers, the values ended up the same.

For those interested, there is a schematic at that link.

There is a link under the schematic to a plot of the xover.

Also, check out the subsonic filter at the top of that page.

Re: Active Filters [message #33660 is a reply to message #33659] Sat, 11 August 2001 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Another thing to look at is Sallen Key filters. Sallen Key filters provide adjustable crossover frequency, slope and filter Q. It provides an almost unlimited number of parametric EQ functions, from overdamped to underdamped - having a "suck out" or a huge peak at the desired frequency. All these things are adjustable with this kind of circuit.
Sallen Key modeling formula [message #33661 is a reply to message #33660] Sat, 11 August 2001 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
Here's an interesting link for Sallen Key filters. It shows how to set them up, complete with formulas to determine what components to use.
Thanks Wayne! [message #33663 is a reply to message #33661] Sun, 12 August 2001 16:46 Go to previous message
Master
Just what I needed to know!
Previous Topic: altec 604-8g in pi enclosure
Next Topic: 2A3 (Paramour) / Thermo et al
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 15:40:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio