Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Data General? Nova's and Eclipses?
Data General? Nova's and Eclipses? [message #33199] Fri, 13 April 2001 07:27 Go to next message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
Wayne, Wayne, Wayne.

I was a DGer for 14 years, 1976-1990, until I was one of the 2700 instant winners in the "Get away from Ed" contest.

Cut my teeth on Novas, worked on a Supernova at the U of M, serial number 17, but I'm sure this is off topic and boring to anyone else on this board.

My badge number was 8696, what was yours?

Re: Data General? Nova's and Eclipses? [message #33200 is a reply to message #33199] Fri, 13 April 2001 15:21 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I have a lot of good memories from my Data General days, but my badge number isn't one of them. Engineering for Data General was my first job of my career. One of the systems I worked on was the MV8000, and I left the company after that product stabilized.

Tracy Kidder wrote a book about us, "The Soul Of A New Machine." That was back before Silicon Valley was anything, back then it was Route 128 in Framingham. That's where you found companies like Digital Equipment Corporation, Data General, Prime and Wang. Every company in the technology sector was there. Wonder years, those days were.

I always thought it would be cool to make a monster subwoofer using the linear motor from a Zebra disk drive.

Remember Zork? Wasn't that old original version cool? I have the source code. At www.ParhamData.com/free.html, you will find a link to download it, and an executable for the PC is included in the archive. There's also some other real cool stuff there, so please download anything you like.

This Zork isn't the early port to the PC that they sold when they formed Infocom. That one had to break the game into three versions - I, II, and III. This is the original in its "full glory," and compiled it is a whopping 300Kb or something, which was bigger than they wanted it to be for entry level PC's. That's why they carved it into three pieces.

Previous Topic: Convince me that JBL are worthwhile over and above Eminence
Next Topic: Is the Pi Seven with a JBL 2226 recommended for use with a SETA?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:28:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio