Home » Audio » General » Great Plains Audio Festival in a week?
Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2990] Sat, 29 April 2006 09:30 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi everyone,

The Great Plains Audio festival in Tulsa Oklahoma is scheduled to start in about a week.

Is there any additional news about exhibitors and siminars that are not listed on the Great Plains website?

I am looking forward to this event, and hope to see all of you there.

Norris Wilson

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2991 is a reply to message #2990] Sat, 29 April 2006 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm looking forward to it too. The Dallas Audio Club will be sponsoring a DIY room where anybody can bring their favorite piece of electronic gear for others to hear. I started a 2006 GPAF photo gallery with pictures of the basic system we'll have at the Dallas Audio Club room. I was planning to bring the 3 Pi Theater speakers but they just won't fit in the back of my little Ford Ranger pickup truck with everything else I'll be carrying, so I'll be taking the smaller DIY speakers instead.

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2992 is a reply to message #2991] Sat, 29 April 2006 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm planning on bringing my DIY headphone amps, stock Millett and SOHA. So if any of you want to bring your headphones to listen please do. I'll be using a imp-350 source on the SOHA and probably my NAD Bee CDP for the Millett as that's the sources I designed them for.

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2993 is a reply to message #2990] Sat, 29 April 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Norris and Fred,

I'm bring a set of line arrays (see photo on the second photo page on the GPAF site) and perhaps a set of bipolar MLTL speakers if I have room. I will give a seminar on line arrays Saturday afternoon to those interested.

Fred, if someone from any of the Dallas, Houston, or Tulsa audio clubs has a few minutes on Friday afternoon to help me set-up my room, I would be grateful. Perhaps we could have a little fun doing a room correction with my DEQX system.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2994 is a reply to message #2993] Sun, 30 April 2006 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I plan to arrive Friday morning and will be available to help Jim and others set up their rooms. Wayne, last year the service crew had to look for the hand dolly, so it would be helpful If you could have one available to move exhibitors' speakers and other heavy equipment that won't fit on a standard hotel luggage cart.

For those who have not exhibited at the GPAF before, when you check in ask the receptionist to send the service crew to remove the TV, table, and chairs from the front room of the suite. Last year they responded immediately, so by the time I hauled the first load of equipment to the room it was ready for set up.

The suites are so much better than the typical hotel room at other shows, where you have to remove the bed, etc. Like most hotel rooms, it is a bit small, and last year mine had a strong midbass peak which was partially fixed by pulling the sofa out a couple of feet from the wall. Jim's DEQX will be very helpful in taming this anomaly in his suite.

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2995 is a reply to message #2994] Sun, 30 April 2006 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I'll arrive just after lunch on Friday. Sounds like help will be available. See you there.

Jim

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2996 is a reply to message #2991] Sun, 30 April 2006 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
Hello Fred, I wanted to say that I'm driving up from Houston, probably
leaving very early Friday morning. I will probably have some room.
Let me know if I can help (wpack at houston dot rr dot com).

Skip Pack

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? Oh yeah! [message #2997 is a reply to message #2990] Sun, 30 April 2006 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Norris,

Lori and I are looking forward to seeing you and your wife at the Tulsa show!

We will be driving in from Preston, Idaho - celebrated home of Napoleon Dynamite. We're planning to show some new speakers that I recently designed, which probably isn't very exciting to anyone else but it's an incredible ego trip for yours truly. Unfortunatlely we've run into a few last-minute snags on delivery of the speaker enclosures, which were supposed to be finished two weeks ago, and then one week ago, and then last Friday... If I'd have known I'd be sitting here five days before the show with no cabinets I'd have built my own or at least found another woodworker (my own woodworking skills can charitably be described as proto-rudimentary). Tomorrow I'll be at my woodworker's place offering my assistance (and insistance), as now it's down to "do or die". Even once the cabinets are built I'll still have a couple of days' worth of work to do on them, not the least of which is the ritualistic application of legless reptile lubricant.

I don't have any images to post because at this point the speakers are still just a gleam in my eye. They'll be floorstanders roughly 42" tall by 13" wide by 16" deep. Driver complement will include some fun stuff from TAD and B&C. Estimated efficiency is in the lower 90's, the bass should extend just south of 40 Hz, and the drivers used exhibit negligible power compression below about 112 dB. I've gone to some trouble to do a good job with the reverberant field, as getting the reverberant field right is my favorite audio-related tangent. These won't compete with large-format high efficiency high output systems from PiSpeakers, GedLee, Iconic, Edgarhorn, Classic Audio Reproductions, Avantgarde, and the like. Not even my well-paid, highly optimistic advertising department could make that happen. Instead, my hope is to offer some of the qualities of a good large-format high efficiency system in a medium sized, upper-medium efficiency package.

Hopefully in a couple of days I can post an update saying that there's no more last-minute drama going on here.

Duke

PS - And of course back by popular demand will be Lori's cool misty colored fountains.

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2998 is a reply to message #2990] Mon, 01 May 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm really looking forward to it! I just spent the last two days putting up signs to bring in the locals. Akhilesh, Melissa and Derk helped, thanks to them for all their help! We've had more time for people to warm up to the event than last year, so I expect quite a turnout. All the best guys in audio will be there! I'm really eager to see you and everyone! Check the website for last minute additions and changes.

Re: Great Plains Audio Festival in a week? [message #2999 is a reply to message #2995] Mon, 01 May 2006 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, many of the people in the Tulsa Audio club have voluntered to be there early Friday afternoon to lend a hand. See you there!

Previous Topic: Happy Luke Skywalker Day
Next Topic: Does Wayne Parham know?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 11:49:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout