Home » Audio » Home Theater » My HDTV Experiences .....
My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28729] Fri, 05 November 2004 14:15 Go to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Sooooooo .... got myself a big ass HDTV in September. The cable guys came and hooked up my digital cable and HD channels. I took it all apart and hooked it up correctly after they left .... couple of real idiots.

Now I got three remotes to play with!

My wife is afraid of the TV!

Only person who can figure out how to change the channel is my 12 year old son!

We are in heaven!

Just kidding, my two little girls can change the channel too.

Here is what I find interesting. First, there are very few HD channels (but more will be added everyday said the idiots who connected me). Second, half of the network shows that are in HD seem to have the sound out of sync with the video. I feel like I am watching a 60's Japanese horror movie with overdubs. The news guy's lips are moving and no sound is coming out, and sound is coming without his lips moving. I keep looking for George W Bush's hand up his butt making his mouth flap. OK, news guy maybe this is how it is supposed to be but the same thing happens with John Madden on Monday Night Football. Somethings wrong, John Madden is a standup guy. But other HD shows are OK. Regular TV is OK. DVDs are OK. Drives my wife nuts, she then drives me nuts. I keep looking for my son to change the channel but I sent him to bed an hour ago.

Have you folks noticed a similar phenominon?

Any ideas why this is happening?

Martin

My fingers are typing and the words don't appear on the HD computer screen, words are appearing on the HD computer screen and I am not typing.

Re: My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28730 is a reply to message #28729] Sat, 06 November 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Martin,

Wow, that's pretty incredible that the audio and video are out of sync. This is things you're watching directly, right? It isn't stuff that's been recorded on a PVR or something. I'd call or E-Mail the cable company and tell them what you're experiencing. I've never seen an HDTV broadcast out of sync like that, but then again, I've only watched movies on HDTV. Maybe the other networks are out of sync and I just never noticed. I'll pay more attention next time I watch an HDTV channel.

Wayne

Re: My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28731 is a reply to message #28730] Sat, 06 November 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Wayne,

This is happening with the "live" shows not something that has been recorded. I need to see if there is a trend like just one newwork or one or two shows, I don't watch that much TV but my wife has pointed it out several times. My guess is it is the signal, just wondering if others have had this experience. You know the first thing the cable idiot is going to say is that it is my TV and not there hardware.

Martin

Re: My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28732 is a reply to message #28729] Thu, 11 November 2004 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This seems to be happening quite a bit lately with my digital cable (regular tv - not HD.) Are you seeing this on any non-HDTV? The programs I notice this most on is older kids shows shown on PBSKids.org. I'm sure it happens on other channels, but my kids won't let me turn the channel. Seriously, I do notice it quite often on other stations as well.

Have you tried complaining really hard to the local cable company. My mother-in-law was the first in her neighborhood to request HDTV service. Many calls later regarding very poor picture/sound quality, the cable guys decided the existing lines were substandard. After digging up many of her neighbors' yards and the street and replacing cable, the problem was fixed. Do any of your neighbors have HDTV's, and do they see the same problem?

Last resort: Figure out if the audio or video is fast and increase that cable's lenght by a few miles at a time until there is sync.....Colin

Re: My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28733 is a reply to message #28732] Thu, 11 November 2004 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Colin,

I am not sure if this happens on just the HD channels or also on the digital channels. Right now I have a split at the wall and run one side directly to the TV's antenna through the VCR/DVD. I did this so we could record one channel while watching another, a feature my wife and kids had to have. The other leg runs into the digital/HD converter box directly and then into the TV's video input. To be honest we do not watch the digital TV and use the antenna input most of the time. When I use the converter box it is to watch the HDTV and this is mostly for sports (NFL on sunday, recent world series). My street is 10 years old so I doubt it is the cable line. I think the problem originates at the source.

I am becoming more and more disatisfied with the digital/HD cable and will probably dump it after the Super Bowl. Some of my local stations are in HD and some are not. All commercials and local programming is not in HD. Half of what is in HD, has the synch problem between the video and the audio. And while the picture is definitely nicer, it is not a huge improvement. I could live without it easily, I feel like I just bought a quadraphonic set-up and am waiting for all of the records to be released in the new format, I only have three records to listen to right now. In my opinion, HDTV is grossly over rated.

Martin

Re: My HDTV Experiences ..... [message #28734 is a reply to message #28733] Sat, 13 November 2004 01:22 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Martin,

The issue is a frustrating one, that's for sure. But it's good that you're DTV-ready. Check this out.

Wayne

Previous Topic: Need info on Centre Channel
Next Topic: Sonotube stuff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:07:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers