Home » Audio » Home Theater » Need info on Centre Channel
Need info on Centre Channel [message #28466] Fri, 15 October 2004 09:47 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi everyone. Need some help understanding the frequency requirement of the Centre Channel speaker in a HT set up. I remember hearing somewhere that it only needs to go down to 100Hz and no more. I'm looking into a DIY project and don't want to add the expense of deep bass if it's not required.

thanks,
gar.

Re: Need info on Centre Channel [message #28471 is a reply to message #28466] Fri, 15 October 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gar,

There are a handful of different approaches to this. One idea is that the dialog channel is mainly just for voices, and so doesn't need deep bass extension. The people that take this approach usually have large left and right channel speakers and smaller ones for the dialog channel and surrounds.

Another idea is to have matching speakers for each of the three front channels, left, right and dialog. The surrounds can be made smaller, but the idea here is to have all three zones up front the same. That way, when sounds seem to pass from left to right, they aren't going through a transition zone that sounds "lighter."

I think the former idea - the one that uses the smaller vocal dialog channel - is probably one that is mainly attractive because of space and aesthetics. I'm sure it probably is better to have the center channel match the left and the right. Having a weaker dialog channel is probably like not having one at all, and using a virtual center instead. In fact, it would seem to me that if a dialog channel were made smaller, maybe it's best to configure the system as having a virtual center channel instead.

I suppose what's best for each individual is probably determined a lot by the way the room is setup, how far apart the left and right speakers are placed, and other factors. There are a lot of good ways to do it.

Wayne

Re: Need info on Centre Channel [message #28476 is a reply to message #28471] Sun, 17 October 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Even 100 Hz is generous, since a receiver will generally send everything from 80 Hz on down to the sub, depending on how it's configured. My center goes flat only to 150 Hz and I couldn't say that it sounds the least bit unhappy about it. Maybe I'll run an RTA on my center channel output one of these days and see what's actually there.

Re: Need info on Centre Channel [message #28477 is a reply to message #28466] Mon, 18 October 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminatus is currently offline  Illuminatus
Esquire
It is best if all main speakers are sonically matched. The front three should definitely be matched. If you use a subwoofer, none of the main speakers needs to play lower than 80hz because that is the subwoofer crossover point for all HT standards.

A few thoughts :-) [message #28481 is a reply to message #28466] Tue, 09 November 2004 21:30 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I think one of the reasons they chose 80Hz as the X-over point (apart from considerations about directivity) between the subs and the rest of the speakers in a THX system, was that they wanted to make absolutely sure, that all dialogue was in the mains, not the subs. I don't think it's quite right to talk of the center as a dialogue channel, btw. It also takes care of much of the real sounds, that is the sound that's directly connected to what's going on on the screen. In fact, it's estimated that well over 50% (often quite a bit more)of the sound in 5.1 setup is coming from the center!

Were I to build a dedicated HT (where pure music reproduction were of secondary or no importance), I'd probably put most emphasis on a good center and a decent sub - that is, in a system where several had to be able to enjoy it at the same time. Also, as mentioned, try to get a coherent type of sound, in particular for the front speakers.

Previous Topic: topaz, softimage
Next Topic: My HDTV Experiences .....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:05:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout