Home » Audio » General » My observation or hallucination :)
Geez, I forgot [message #2654 is a reply to message #2653] Mon, 16 January 2006 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
To answer all your questions. Must be Oldtimer's catching up with me. The bookshelp speakers are indeed KLH 17's. One of three pair I bought. I love the sound of them and I figure someday my boys will tire of the "thump, thump" horse manure and want a decent sounding system. So I have been acquiring some decent vintage gear to keep them out of the BPC camp

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2655 is a reply to message #2651] Mon, 16 January 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Geez; that sounds like a real nice combo. Is the 275 restored to original specifications?

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2656 is a reply to message #2652] Mon, 16 January 2006 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check this one out. I think it's reeeeaaally sweet, and doesn't cost much at all. Stock parts are pretty good, but you can also upgrade with better resistors, caps and tubes. Looks great and sounds great too.

Heart Audio Stoetkit Mk. II

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2657 is a reply to message #2655] Mon, 16 January 2006 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I hope so but have my doubts. I took it to the authorized Mac repair shop and asked them to fix it and they did but I didn't see where they did anything like replacing any caps. It sounds good to me but what do I know One thing I've noticed with the tube amp is I can have the volume louder without the sound being annoying. I wonder why that is? The sound is hardly different between the 275 & 2505 as that was a design goal of the 2505 & 2105. I'd like somebody to listen and compare some day and see what they think. I've lived with this stuff since 1971 so I doubt I would notice a slow degradation in sound quality. One thing I do know is when I play a well mastered CD it'll put goose bumps on my arm. The sound is that good to me. Most of the sound is because of the Altecs. Today's modern speakers while technically superior sound clinical and strident to me. I guess I'm just used to the Altec distortion

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2658 is a reply to message #2656] Mon, 16 January 2006 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Gee, I thought they said "a price anyone could afford" I'm trying to save up for a newer preamplifier. I'd like one with a remote and a better noise floor on the phono than my C-26. Just out of curiousity what do those beautiful amps you posted before go for? If that little one is 5-750.00 then the other must be 2500 or so? Maybe even more

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2659 is a reply to message #2657] Mon, 16 January 2006 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You might want to give Terry DeWick a call about your Mac gear. He seems to be the man for Mac rebuilds, but I'm sure you know that. I would hate to see a cap let go and toast the amp. Now that would be 'spensive!

Glad to hear you like the Altec gear as well. I got my first Altec's about 6 months ago. They are A7s with redone GP drivers. Very nice sound. Also, just got a beautiful pair of Altec Magnificents (A7s in furniture-grade walnut cabinets with wood grill) this weekend - thanks Zincman! Not quite showroom condition (an honest 9/10), but pretty damn nice. Hope to have pics up in a few days.....Colin

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2660 is a reply to message #2658] Mon, 16 January 2006 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Stoetkit is $750.00, the Sapphire dials in at 10x that.

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2661 is a reply to message #2657] Tue, 17 January 2006 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Mac Solid State amps use an autoformer as a coupling device. I always felt it slowed and softened the music somewhat. That might explain your dissatisfaction with the sound from the 2505. Without getting into a long equipment list allow me to humbly state that I use the same 846B's you do and I did try them with the mac once. Great combo. There are many who say the drivers in the Altecs need to be re-magnetised and the crossover caps replaced. I don't notice any difference with those speakers that have had that done. I would suspect that your stuff sounds just fine and would not benefit much from a lot of changes. The only thing I would offer is raising my 846B's about 6" gave me a lot more high's and better definition and prescence. Also seperating them from the stuff around them would help.

If you want you could try the speakers one at a time and listen to see if there is any difference. That might tell you if they need attention.
When was the last time you changed out the tubes on the Mac?

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2662 is a reply to message #2661] Tue, 17 January 2006 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'm not disappointed in the 2505 it's just that I had heard the talk surrounding the different sound between tube vs SS and just didn't hear much difference. Then I heard about Mac's design and figured that was the reason I didn't hear much difference. Maybe I should compare the 275 against my SX 950 The Mac had the tubes tested in November at the shop and they changed out a pair of the driver tubes. I've read about the AlNico magnets losing some charge over time but I measured my speakers a while back and they put out 104db@ 10'w\ 3 \5 watts which is more than adequate for my needs. The wattmeter on the amp said 3 1\2 but how accurate is it? The 846A's have the bass reflex slots on each end of the horn which doesn't help the sound all that much. The 846B's have the tube or hole.

Re: Geez, I forgot [message #2663 is a reply to message #2654] Tue, 17 January 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
KLH17's!

My very first speakers were 17's. Bought them in what? 1965? Built a Heathkit to drive them and a Dual turntable. All of that stuff eventually disappeared while I was running around the world with the Air Force. The sure sounded good at the time. I wonder how thy would sound beside my current Lowther homegrowns and 6BX7 p-p amp.

Oh, well. I also had a 1966 Mustang GT Fastback. Green, thank you. But that got left on Guam during the Viet Nam unpleasantness.

Bob

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottlehead meeting Pictures On Line
Next Topic: RCA cleaning tip...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:45:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers