Home » Audio » General » Well I'm off to see the Wizard
Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26407] Sat, 10 December 2005 09:24 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Sort of anyway There is a small gathering of audio fans in Portland today so I'm heading in there to see what I can hear so to speak A english major could have fun with that last sentence. I'm taking a piar of my KLH 17's as there some haven't heard a pair. Also a Pioneer SX 950 that is all cleaned up and working well. Should be a good time for all and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I'm also taking my 15.00 Sony CDP 111ES for a source. Since I stopped the skipping it's a joy to listen to. I want to compare it with a higher end unit and see what I'm missing.

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26408 is a reply to message #26407] Sat, 10 December 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
KLH; they really have a nice musical sound don't they? I have a pair of 22's I use sometimes.

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26410 is a reply to message #26408] Tue, 13 December 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I just bought another pair of 17's for 40.00 last night off CL. I'll get them Friday and hope they are in as good a shape as my others are. Now when my boys want to get a decent setup I have some good speakers to outfit them with.
The audio get together went very well. We had fun and I managed to get my Maggies ready to replace the tweeter wire. The guy with the surplus repair kit didn't show but in the Spring they will ship the adhesive again. I picked up a Adcom speaker switcher so now I can take some measure of control over the maze of wires when trying to switch between speakers

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26414 is a reply to message #26410] Tue, 13 December 2005 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What do you use to drive the Maggie's? The Pioneer?

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26415 is a reply to message #26414] Tue, 13 December 2005 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I have a MC-2505 or a MC-275 tube amp to drive them with when they're fixed. I like the sound of the Maggies but they'll never replace my old Altecs. I've lived with them too long to be objective about most other speakers. Besides, the Altecs just seem to have a more musical sound. Probably just me though. The Pioneer I bought because I'm sure someday my boys will tire of the video games and want to hear something decent.

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26416 is a reply to message #26415] Wed, 14 December 2005 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; I am an Altec Fan also; they have great tone. Do you think the video games are a passing fad? I really don't know how to gauge the future in regards to how my kids will evolve. I gave up.
But I do believe that we are entering a different world that has no fundamental paradigm's upon which to predict coming trends. Not like we did or our parents had. I think there are serious seismic shifts in perception of reality similar to what occurred after the great depression where people adopted entirely different views completely unnatached to those they experienced throughout their lives prior to that event.

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26417 is a reply to message #26416] Wed, 14 December 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I hope they are a fad but think they will last a long time. My oldest is 27 and still plays them occaisionally. When I was young reading was my escape but now days it seems that something visual that provides instant gratification is more popular. I really couldn't make an educated guess as to where things are headed because I live near a small town and don't watch TV or listen to the news much and avoid populated areas like the plague So I'm pretty much a country bumpkin.

Re: Well I'm off to see the Wizard [message #26418 is a reply to message #26417] Thu, 15 December 2005 08:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; you sound like an interesting guy. Even in small towns there is no escape anymore. My parents live in North Dakota in a town of about 600 people. The police are stretched to the limit trying to deal with all the meth cookers springing up in the area's motels and abandoned farms. My dad says he sees cars completely damaged beyond repair racing around with "crazy people" in them.
Hope you don't have that problem!
He moved out of New York because he wanted a quieter life.

Previous Topic: How much more silly can things get on eBay?
Next Topic: CHANGED to SAturday, DEc 17, 2005 at 2 pm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 02:01:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout