Home » Audio » General » Penn and Teller
Penn and Teller [message #2617] Fri, 06 January 2006 08:00 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They have this show called "Bullshit" on Showtime. It exposes nonsense in the world like fortunetellers and evangelists who say they can cure stuff. In case you haven't seen it.
Well last night they did this show where they took this real expensive resturaunt known for it's Haute' Cuisine and played a trick on three of the diners. They had the waiter describe in minute detail these wondrous dishes of mouth-watering complexity. They satrted with two Kobe Steaks from hand-rubbed and massaged cows fed only pure grains and potatoes grown in the highlands of Thialand; you know, stuff like that.
The diners were enthralled and each course that came out; they would all ooh and aahh! The waiter would watch with glee as they savored the delicious delicacies. Then he would tromp back into the kitchen where the cook was de-frosting all the cheap frozen crap that they were serving in place of the fake gourmett food. Yet all three guys expressed admiration for the phenomenal taste experience. Swansons frozen dinner steaks! What a riot. They had Mogen David wine costing about 3$ a bottle and the guys are rolling this swill around in their mouths like it was Crystal! Great nose with just a hint of cinnamon!
So; does this remind anyone of anything?

Re: Penn and Teller [message #2618 is a reply to message #2617] Fri, 06 January 2006 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice!
THe power of suggestion. Without this, high end audio would not exist. Unfortunately, if they did the same with listening, the entrenched interests (the "golden ears") would pooh-pooh the whole thing as "not representing a typical listening experience".
-akhilesh

Re: Penn and Teller [message #2619 is a reply to message #2618] Fri, 06 January 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; but the really good part of this example is what Penn had to say about the whole thing. I think it was the perfect answer to both sides so rather than spoil the fun I'll hope you all get to hear it because I think it nicely sums up the experience in a way that relates to our thing.

What is "good enough"? [message #2620 is a reply to message #2617] Fri, 06 January 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
OK, I'll bite. What is "good enough"?

My reference system is a pair of Lowther DX2's in custom cabinets, a 6BX7 P-P amp, and Panasonic DVD player. Cables are homespun 4-wire star wound CAT5 and interconnects are generic RS gold plated things.

Of note, vinyl is not a option, since the genre I listen to most, period instrument Baroque and Classical, isn't on records. I will probably replace the interconnects with some DIY stuff, but I don't expect much.

Bob

Re: What is "good enough"? [message #2621 is a reply to message #2620] Fri, 06 January 2006 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There you go; thats the question that Penn addresses in the show and I liked his response. Instead of mocking the diners who had been fooled he basically said in his words that..Hey; they liked it. And as the whole dining out experience is really more about sharing food with people you like to be around, then that qualifies as a success as far as he is concerned. More or less that is his take and he did poke a little harmless fun at the pretention on display. I only brought it up as a point we see made on these forums concerning quality.
My view; if it sounds like music and goes some way towards communicating the artists intent then it's good to go. Of course I am an opinionated SOB so I may stretch that at times.
6bx7; how come we haven't heard about this amp before?
I will say I use Aeon interconnects from Zalytron. They are an amazing bargain at 2$ a foot and the RCA's they offer are very high quality for 4$ each. I soldered my own set together and since I did it they must sound better so I replaced all my wires with that stuff.
I have one set of Discovery Cable left from the old days but I can't really tell any difference. Those are supposedly about 300$; don't know how I ended up with them.

Re: Penn and Teller [message #2630 is a reply to message #2617] Mon, 09 January 2006 23:07 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
yeah, reminds me of audio when i was 14. amazing, fantastic.

wouldnt listen to shit like that ever again.

sex in high school? was great then.... those days are gone. better stuff now!

back to audio.... definately sacd quality stuff dont ya know. good god, what a front end.

Previous Topic: Coral vintage speakers
Next Topic: One last computer question, I promise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 05:41:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout