Home » Audio » Speaker » so I built these lines with a single tweeter
so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24129] Thu, 24 January 2008 17:56 Go to next message
Dave is currently offline  Dave
Chancellor
I hadn't seen this site when I built them, I just read the "Griffin paper" a couple of times, I bought a few cases of NSB's and went to town. I really need to work on the crossover, it's a 2nd order LR at 3.5k. I didn't weigh down the nsb's like people recommend, I didn't even put in all the screws, I'm still kind of playing with things. I don't like the single tweeter. Not as "in you face" as I've heard other lines.

I put it half way between ear sitting and standing ear level. This was a bad idea, as they only sound good sitting or standing, and great if you hunch over a little. My next lines will have a full compliment of tweeters.

I actually like the center channel, my wife hates it. That tweeter doesn't quite keep up with the mids. You have to be in front of the center channel, but that doesn't really bother me seeing as it's as wide as the TV, and if I'm going to sit and watch a movie, that's where I'll be.

The sub is 4 12" Dayton DVC's, sealed .707, running off a QSC 1850 HD that I keep in the basement.

I like this site and I'll be here picking brains for as long as you let me.

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24131 is a reply to message #24129] Fri, 25 January 2008 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
what tweeter did you use for the center channel, there are a couple with faceplates that might just drop in that have very high sensitivity and should give a better result.

I used an older version of this one from MCM with my nsb arrays that were very similar to yours 92db/1w, not bad considering the price

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=53-572&catalog_name=MCMProducts

Or a much better tweeter is this one 96db/1wm, and still a bargain at only $30

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=109

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24132 is a reply to message #24129] Fri, 25 January 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
NSB's are pretty good drivers for 49 cents. I get more from the drivers by doing the cone treatment and putting them in a ported
design for strong upper midbass. My budget array uses NSB + PT2 and
I can do over 126dB[c] SPL in room, upper midbass, about
122dB[c] midrange. A single tweeter wouldn't be able to keep up.

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24133 is a reply to message #24131] Fri, 25 January 2008 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It's a Morel MDT 30, I picked it up in the scratch and dent isle at parts express for like $15. I'm not sure how my next center channel will end up. Like I said my wife hates this one, and there were some construction techniques I tried with it, that I didn't end up liking. I don't know what to do about a new center, I know it's bad to mix up your speakers but I have some TB W4's that would sound great as a center.

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24134 is a reply to message #24132] Fri, 25 January 2008 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Do you use any type of gasket for the NSB's?

I think next time I'll make a template for pre-drilling the screw holes that hold the speakers in. The openings in the basket are so big that if you don't get it right on you can drive the basket out of it's seat. Sounds like it's easy, and it is, but the repetitiveness gets to you, or gets to me at least.

your wife [message #24135 is a reply to message #24133] Sat, 26 January 2008 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Why does your wife hate the system?

Re: your wife [message #24136 is a reply to message #24135] Sat, 26 January 2008 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
She likes the towers, just not the center. I guess while I was building them she had some strange idea that I would build them with front grills in mind. I don't know why she thought that. I like to look at the speakers, like looking at boobs. She doesn't mind the towers, but really doesn't like the center. "Because it's ugly"

Re: your wife [message #24137 is a reply to message #24135] Sat, 26 January 2008 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
She just hates the center, "because it's ugly".

My next one has to have a grill.

Re: so I built these lines with a single tweeter [message #24139 is a reply to message #24134] Sat, 26 January 2008 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
NSB installation was a PITA. The frame lip problem.
I used a precision rabbet after cutting the hole out, to recess
the frame lip inside it. Then I used generic rope caulk found
at partsexpress to gasket the driver.

Re: your wife [message #24140 is a reply to message #24136] Sun, 27 January 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you have a photo? I'm betting she wouldn't like mine with the 34 midranges and the 60 tweeters, and the two large 12 inch woofers.

My wife's not to big on the size, but the the sound is so spectacular that she doesn't care. of course they aren't in my living room, they are in a special music room.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Favorite dome tweeters
Next Topic: Speakerlab K Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:54:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers