Home » Audio » Speaker » Double ART Array?
Double ART Array? [message #24121] Wed, 23 January 2008 12:06 Go to next message
Brian Owens is currently offline  Brian Owens
Esquire

Can anyone tell me what kind of trouble I am going to run into if I build a set of ART Arrays and I double them with two lines of drivers in each cabinet?

These will mainly be used for HT and 80's music. I have an older Pioneer Preamp and a Carver TFM-55 (500 x 2 @ 4 ohms) amplifier. These will be paired with a Mach5audio IXL 18" sub, ported in 13 ft^3 tuned to 17 Hz on 1000 watts.

Thanks!
Brian

Re: Double ART Array? [message #24122 is a reply to message #24121] Wed, 23 January 2008 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
unfortunately lots of problems... If you have the extra money to spend on extra drivers, why not spend it on a different design with a full row of mids and full row of tweeters?

How abuot this. . . [message #24123 is a reply to message #24122] Wed, 23 January 2008 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

I picked up (2) pairs of these kits for $520, so I was just trying to do something with them.

What if I put all 16 drivers in a row down one side of the baffle, and then put the 2 tweeters on the other side of the baffle. Would that be better?

Re: How abuot this. . . [message #24124 is a reply to message #24123] Wed, 23 January 2008 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
if you have already bought 2 pairs you're better off just building the other as surrounds. Putting only 2 tweeters will introduce alot of comb filtering, the ctc spacing on those tweeters really isnt optimal for a full line. plus you would have to design a whole new xover.

Re: How abuot this. . . [message #24125 is a reply to message #24124] Wed, 23 January 2008 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I see. I might try it just to see. I will machine the tweeter mounting flanges and get them as close as possible to each other.

As far as the crossover, I have all the parts for two sets, so I was just going to put 2 sets of crossovers in each speaker. . .

I know it is crazy. Just having fun. My Home theater actually has North Creek Rhythms, and I do not plan on replacing them. . .

Another idea [message #24126 is a reply to message #24124] Wed, 23 January 2008 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Danny at GR Research suggested I build one set on the front baffle and the other set on the rear baffle. . .

Brian

Re: Double ART Array? [message #24127 is a reply to message #24121] Thu, 24 January 2008 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Calipso is currently offline  Calipso
Esquire
Have your read and understood Dr. Griffin's study? You won't have to asked these questions if you do that.

Re: Double ART Array? [message #24128 is a reply to message #24121] Thu, 24 January 2008 06:47 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Brian, the ART Array with its woofer array and a single point source tweeter challenges the limitations of a line array from the start. It was designeed to be the cheapest possible line array that actually sounds good to me, and the high sensitivity and 16 ohm impedance are intended primarily for low power SET tube amp lovers. It sounds better with my 3.5 watt SET amps than it does with a high power solid state amp. Not everybody who has heard it liked its sound, but some people whose opinions I respect, including Danny Ritchie, said it sounded good to them. Of course these comments were made with the speakers' cost in mind - it's not in the same league as Danny and Rick Craig's line arrays.

Adding a second line of woofers will severely limit the horizontal dispersion, and adding a second tweeter will severely limit the vertical dispersion. You don't want to do this. Building the array as a bipole with drivers on the front and back would be better, but bipoles are very sensitive to placement and I wouldn't position them closer than three feet from the back wall. I understand your desire to be creative and not just copy what's been done in the past, but just adding drivers will not result in a better sounding speaker.

If I had $600-$1,000 to spend on a line array I believe I would go for better drivers instead of doubling up on the ones specified for the ART array. You could build a very nice sounding quasi-array using eight or nine Dayton Reference drivers with a Fountek ribbon tweeter. Rick Craig of Selah Audio used to sell this as a kit. He called it the Day Tek, and two or three years ago it sold for about $800. I suggest you contact him to see if it's still available, but the cost will have increased becasue of increases in the cost of parts, especially the inductors in the crossover. If you go this route you'll end up with an array featuring top quality drivers with an expertly designed crossover and enclosure plans.

Previous Topic: "using drivers that are just sitting"
Next Topic: Maximum efficiency? Sensitivity?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 11:00:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio