Home » Audio » Speaker » "using drivers that are just sitting"
"using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24115] Fri, 18 January 2008 15:09 Go to next message
Clyde is currently offline  Clyde
Esquire
Some one help me! If you look @ parts express web site and type in 299-495 the specs will be given for the driver, It is a 4.5" Vifa mid-woofer made for JBL. I have 36 of these drvers and would like to put them to good use. I also have 5 PT2 planars and will purchase more if I need too. I do not know how to design X-overs so I thought that I could go active. I also have two amps, a crown, and an onkyo. If some one could look at the specs in their spare time and give me some idea's on what I could do with the drivers that would be great. I am a carpenter so the cabnets are not a problem, Its how the drivers work together that is the problem.

Re: "using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24116 is a reply to message #24115] Fri, 18 January 2008 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
I built my first array using those drivers. Great speakers for the $6 each!

If you are going to go active I would go with 16 per tower 4 sets in series of 4 in parallel giving you a 4ohm load. I would also go sealed and eq the low end up. ====/====/====/====

With the PT2 use between 8-12 per side. I use 100ufd capacitor on them for protection. 12 will put you at almost exact the same vertical as the mid line of 16, but realistically Use a 48db slope between 1800-2000hz. 6ohm load ====/====/==== or 2.6ohm ======/====== depending what amp you are using.

The easiest way to go active is to use the crown xti amps. They are slightly costly but have all of your eq and xover features built in! Or use a behringer dcx2496 which is what I am currently using.

Re: "using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24117 is a reply to message #24116] Sat, 19 January 2008 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the info! I would like to ask you a one more question. How much cu. ft. per driver (Sealed).

Thanks for your help, These have been sitting for a few years and I have the bug to build, and listen.
THANKS!

Re: "using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24118 is a reply to message #24117] Sat, 19 January 2008 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
There are many "online calculators" for T/S parameters. Goggle “Thiel Small parameter calculators”. Many sights are available, just have a look around.

Here is one example: http://www.audiogrid.com/audio

If you do not have equipment to measure the drive T/S parameters, driver from a decent manufactures number are close to actual specs, some may very

Tom R.

Re: "using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24119 is a reply to message #24117] Sat, 19 January 2008 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justinc is currently offline  justinc
Baron
ok I plugged in some numbers into bassbox pro using the t/s that I used years ago. This probably is not exact but will be very close. rough external box dimensions 84Hx10Wx8D with 1.5" walls and ample internal bracing is about 1.5cu feet will give you a qtc of .5

optimal power for the mids is 200 watts if you will be using eq. You reach xmax at 50hz and be -12db. These are very efficient though so you could almost definitely add 12db of boost keeping flat frequency response to 50hz or lower depending on you're desired SPL.

using the dcx2496 as your xover you can tailor the response to anything you like though as long as you go with a sealed box. So you could make it not as deep if you needed to, keeping in mind it will require more eq down low to get the same response.

Again these are just suggestions from my experience with these mids and tweeters. Going with a sealed box, enough pt2's, those mids, and a good xover like the 2496 it will be hard to go wrong.

Re: "using drivers that are just sitting" [message #24120 is a reply to message #24119] Sat, 19 January 2008 15:37 Go to previous message
Esquire
YOU ARE THE MAN! Thank you, I may have more questions as this project goes on.
Again,Thanks

Previous Topic: single driver line array
Next Topic: Double ART Array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 08:59:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers