Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Enclosure Plans ie Northcreek Designs
Array Enclosure Plans ie Northcreek Designs [message #23429] Tue, 06 February 2007 20:52 Go to next message
Stephen Narayan is currently offline  Stephen Narayan
Esquire
Has anyone taken the Northcreek Music design approach and applied it to an array? I read here that Jim suggests shelf bracing with 3/4" MDF on all sides. Is it feasible that Northcreek's vertical bracing technique coupled with double thick dissimilar material of MDF and Baltic Birch ply would provide a dense enough enclosure as to not require shelf bracing? I'm thinking that I still need at least one shelf brace at between drivers 3 and 4 for a 6 driver array.

Note in my proposed design I'm planning to raise the bottom woofer about 8-12 inches off a base plinth to facilitate future use for a passive crossover and/or use that space for sand or shot fill. So there will be an additional "bottom" shelf there that I will probably not cut through.

Re: Array Enclosure Plans ie Northcreek Designs [message #23430 is a reply to message #23429] Wed, 07 February 2007 09:02 Go to previous message
Eric is currently offline  Eric
Baron
What size is the enclosure? Over kill on the bracing is just that, in my experience. Good dampening is more effective. Don't get me wrong, you still need to brace it. Dado in the braces all the way aroud the box. This is "interlocking." Baltic birch is stiffer, sonically, I don't think you'd hear the difference. Mass loading will usually tighten up the bass, but are you planning to pour shot over the network when you go passive? Be sure to have some decent foam under your network. Better yet, make it external.

Dampening with 1/4 masonite or mdf sandwiched with 3 or four layers of 30lb roofing felt screwed, not glued to the cabient. Fibergalss insulation also works well, but consider the volume when adding fill. I'd make access panels so you can adjust fill as a tuning element.

Just my experience.

Previous Topic: Newform R30 Scanspeak 18W/8545 array project
Next Topic: ?Horn Questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 24 17:38:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers