Home » Audio » Speaker » Prototype 3 of my homemade OB LA systems are running...
Prototype 3 of my homemade OB LA systems are running... [message #23306] Fri, 10 November 2006 10:43 Go to next message
jeffreybehr is currently offline  jeffreybehr
Chancellor
...and sounding MIGHTY good.

As before, the main drivers are Sonic Craft 6-1/2s. The tweeters are relatively inexpensive (c. $29 each) Dayton mag. planars. Different from PT-2, the bass driver is now a single Sonic Craft SCC300, and I've come to find out that it's a VERY special driver.

I love and have been using for about 30 years an EMI recording of Holst's 'The Planets' by Adrian Boult and the LPO (CDs CDM 7 64748 2 and 7243 5 67749 2 6; LP ASD-3649). The 6th movement, 'Uranus', contains, among lots of other music highly useful to audiofools, a big bassdrum stroke about 2 minutes in. This bassdrum isn't one of the medium-low-frequency boinkers that American orchestras use--this'n's tuned to about 30 Hertz, and it's loud at that point. Any decent bass system can reproduce the fundamental of the drum; good systems will reproduce a little texture to the sound of the bass in the hall, the big Abbey Road studio. A very good system will reproduce the 1st echo of the drum; it's down in level significantly, maybe 30dB. This new dipole system also reproduces the 2nd echo, even further down in level. This track also contains many low-level bassdrum stokes after the 1st big strike, and this Sonic Craft driver, in dipole, with NO special equalization, etc., reproduces the VERY-low-level 1st echos of these soft stokes. I've NEVER heard either these 1st echos--or the 2nd echo of the 1st big strike--before. I'm thrilled.

Main-system filter points are 2400Hz lowpass and 2750 high-pass, and I'm still experimenting. Woofer filterpoints are 80- and 70Hz thru the Dahlquist DQLP-1. I have lots of work to do to stiffen/damp the wings, and I'll be doing that the next week or 10.

Sensitivity seems to be 97dB/2.83V/8-Ohms/1M; my 3 attempts to measure it gave 3 results with only this one making sense. I have an old Audio Technology 510 'power' meter; it's actually a Voltage sensor calibrated for 25, 50, or 100 Watts into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms. With the system playing broadband pinknoise to 95dB peaks at the listening position, the 510 was indicating no more than about 1-1/2 Watts delivered to the main system. Even those ASL 22-Watt SETs arriving today the 10th will be loafing.

This is the best-sounding speaker system I've ever heard in my home.

Jose, TYVM for your nice comment. [message #23308 is a reply to message #23307] Fri, 10 November 2006 22:46 Go to previous message
jeffreybehr is currently offline  jeffreybehr
Chancellor
There certainly could be a level mismatch between the main system and the bass system. When I ran the Hurricanes as main amps, their higher gain had me running the Dahlquist's levels full up and still wanting a few more dB of bass. When I run just the Outlaw, which has about 4dB less gain than the 'Canes, the levels are just right; lucky for me the Dahlquist has as much gain as it does.

Double lucky for me is that the new ASL 1006/845 SETs that arrived today have exactly the same Voltage gain as the Outlaw, so again I have just enough level in the bass system.

These new SETs sure do sound good. I've removed the sides of the tube cage.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Previous Topic: More info wanted on DCA speaker drivers, and help wanted on 1st horn speakers!
Next Topic: Saba coaxials
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 19:37:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout