Home » Audio » General » Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF
Re: Dr. Geddes and his review of RMAF [message #2297 is a reply to message #2295] Thu, 06 October 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good luck with it and don't forget to notify Homeland Security; the massive volume may confuse them. They might scramble the jets.

At least "Classical" is in good shape [message #2301 is a reply to message #2280] Fri, 07 October 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
"All of the classical repretoir has been done...."

Well, sort of. The big name orchestras and conductors continue to crank out more versions of the main repertoire. We probably don't need another Beethoven symphony cycle. The smaller orchestras, though are mining any number of "minor" composes like Field and Hummel in the classical period and Chadwick and Hanson in the romantic.There is also some interesting work being done (well not exactly new) in the HIP (historic instrument performance) field. My personal Beethoven cycle is by Hogwood and the St. Martin-of-the-Fields orchestra. Very, very different from the standard romantic orchestra presentation. Also, compare Brueggen's Haydn Paris/London symphonies to a standard large orchestra performance.

My expertise lies in the baroque, and here there is an enormous repertoire yet to be mined. granted, we don't need another copy of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", but how many good copies of the OTHER 8 concertos in Op.8 are there? Except for Op.8 #9, which is "the" oboe concerto, recorded too many times. But then how many recordings are there of Op.8 #9 on the original violin? Staying with Vivaldi, Manze and Carmignola are doing some fine work with the more obscure violin concertos with small orchestras, and using theorbe and archlute for for the continuo rather than harpsichord.

Bach to the standard repertoire. The record companies are re-releasing seemingly their entire pre-CD holdings. This is good and bad. A re-release costs only a minor fraction of a new performance, and with so many orchestras in financial trouble, this is not good. On the other hand, some of these old performances are very, very good and offer a look at performance practice of yester year. Also the sonics on some of those old "single-mic" recording is just hands down better than any of the multi-mic recordings of today.

In sum, the classical CD repertoire is in good shape. There is much more out there than I can afford.

Bob

Re: Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF [message #2318 is a reply to message #2280] Wed, 12 October 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Well, the halving of attendance at RMAF is alarming, (and somewhat irritating to someone who devoted more than a week to the show!)

If there's any training going on, it's from the "in-your-face" loudspeaker designers, as he says. The extraordinary volume levels used by many demonstrators, at least on the part of the 5th floor I was on, was deplorable.

The rest is quite silly. Differences in caps, resistors, transformers, cable are all clearly audible. I don't think I've ever met anyone (without hearing aids), who couldn't easily discern the differences.

Re: Dr. Lee and his review of RMAF [message #2320 is a reply to message #2318] Wed, 12 October 2005 06:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you'll like GPAF. It has the same feel as MAF did. Hope to see you next year!

Previous Topic: Peacemaker
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Fest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 21:42:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout