Home » Audio » Speaker » Finished At Last
Finished At Last [message #22644] Thu, 02 June 2005 15:10 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It took four months because of some unexpected interruptions, but I finally finished my Selah Audio XT-8 line arrays this week. Each enclosure has cherry veneer sides and satin black baffles, and houses eight 7" Vifa XT-18 series midwoofers and eight Fountek JP-2 ribbon tweeters. The enclosures are a bass reflex alignment with four 3" ports and are 72" high, 14" wide, 18" deep, 95dB sensitivity, 16 SET-friendly ohms impedance (12 ohms minimum), recommended amplifier power 3 to 300 watts:) If I can figure out how to move these big boys I'll take them to next year's GPAF. So many speakers, so little time.

More information at http://www.selahaudio.com/id52.html

Re: Finished At Last [message #22645 is a reply to message #22644] Thu, 02 June 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Wow! Beautiful work! I doubt I could even make 72 inch cabinets. Congrats.

Sweet! [message #22646 is a reply to message #22644] Thu, 02 June 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are gorgeous!

Re: Finished At Last [message #22647 is a reply to message #22645] Fri, 03 June 2005 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris is currently offline  chris
Baron
Fred- Very Impressive!
I was looking to build the Eros speaker (much simpler & cost less).
How do the Eros sound?- vs the Linus 2 (maybe the cheapest line array?)
tia

Re: Finished At Last [message #22648 is a reply to message #22644] Fri, 03 June 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Very, Very top of the line. And they look good also!

Did you power weight the drivers?

How do the xt-8s compare with the other other line arrays in your photo collection. Do they solve any problems the others had, or is the xt-8 mainly a step up in component quality?

-Linc

Re: Finished At Last [message #22649 is a reply to message #22648] Sat, 04 June 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The drivers are wired in two groups of four-in-series for a nominal 16 ohm impedance, with no power tapering. The actual length of the array is about five feet, and you would ideally place a line array in a fairly large rooom with the listening position about 10' or more from the front of the speaker. Mine is an odd-shaped room that's about 21'wide by 25'deep, with the listeing chair positioned so your ears are 13' from the fronts of the speakers. I haven't done the math, but at that distance the middle drivers are not much closer to your ears than the top and bottom drivers. If you were designing an 8' array like the larger Pipedreams and Epiphany arrays you probably would want to consider power tapering, but it's a toss-up at five feet. One advantage of not using power tapering is that the focus remains the same whether you're sitting or standing. With the tapered Linus array and FredArrays the focus changes noticably when you stand.

They do represent a significant step up in component quality. The Linus Arrays have $20 woofers and $25 tweeters; the XT8's have $100 woofers and $120 tweeters. The result is greater power handling capacity, which translates to greater dynamics when you crank up the power, greater bass extension, much better sounding midrange, and far greater treble resolution. I had built a pair of two-way speakers before (the Eros MKII) using the Vifa PL series woofers ($70ea) and was impressed by the difference in bass and midrange clarity betweeen the the PL series and the less expensive TC series woofers that are used in the Linus array. Very much like stepping up from a good jug wine to a vinter's reserve. And the XT series woofers in the XT8's are a small step above the PL. The Fountek ribbons are almost in a class by themselves. To my ears they are as good as the best fabric dome tweeters such as the Scan Speak Revelators ($200+ ea) and the Magnepan 3.6 ribbon tweeters, plus they offer the sensitivity that's needed (98dB) to work in a line array.

Re: Finished At Last [message #22650 is a reply to message #22647] Sat, 04 June 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Eros is a much better sounding speaker than the Linus. If my budget for the drivers and crossover parts were $500-700 I wouldn't choose a line array. At that price point a two or three way using high quality drivers will sound better than a line array using inexpensive drivers. The Eros would be a good choice, or if you need a more sensitive speaker for use with a lower power amp the 3Pi or 4Pi would be ideal.

72 Inch Cabinets [message #22651 is a reply to message #22645] Sat, 04 June 2005 06:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"I doubt I could even make 72 inch cabinets".

Sure you could. Just build 4' mdf cabinets and leave them out in the rain. In a couple of days they will have swelled to 72".

Previous Topic: just to shake things up
Next Topic: IN WALLS ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:34:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout