Home » Audio » Speaker » Best bass from Lowther
Re: EQing and efficiency [message #21955 is a reply to message #21954] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
The rated SPL of full(wide)-range drivers is universally overstated. The SPL rated is usually stated at 1kHz or even farther up the rising frequency response. Look at the frequency response curve of your driver. Note the frequency where mass roll-off begins. THAT'S the best you can do.

When you EQ a speaker for something that approximates flat, with passive EQ, all you can do is cut the treble to match the bass. With DSP, you can either boost the bass or cut the treble, but in either case, you wind up with the same maximum power handling. Why? Because single-driver speakers are always excursion limited in the bass. Power handling is not the same as efficiency, but the end result is the same. Single-driver speakers are power limited in the bass. End of story.

When I start EQ'ing a speaker, I first get a FR curve of the speaker in the position I intend to use it. Then I set the sliders to a mirror image of the FR with the 1kHz slider at 0dB. The job is 90% complete. Only a bit of tweaking remains.

BTW, I rarely wind up with a speaker EQ'ed flat. That seems too laid back for me. I usually wind up cutting the bass a bit.

Bob

Why EQ may not sound good [message #21956 is a reply to message #21954] Wed, 07 May 2008 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
1. As Bob said, Eqing a speaker means getting the eff of the speaker at lower frqiencies, which tends to be lower.
2. Just a bald boost in EQ frequency below a certain range, with a certain slope is crude and may give novice listners a bit of aan ahh feeling but IMHO is not conducive towards accurate sonic reproduction of any sort.

I have worked extensively with parametric EQ (passive)in high end systems. It just never sounded right. I think it;s best left to an individual EQ mix for each track for a particular instrument/voice.
Not very good in a hifi system that is supposed to play it all (mergded tracks playing through 2 or more channels)

Check out:
http://www.mhsecure.com/products/ChannelStrip/EQTech-CS.php

PAY attention to this line:
It is very difficult to characterize the precise nature of what frequency range corresponds to what timbre. You’ll find (as you gain experience) that it is often the relative balance of frequencies that count; sometimes it is better to cut the midrange than to boost the highs.

Hope this helps.
-akhilesh

Re: Best bass from Lowther [message #21992 is a reply to message #21945] Wed, 24 September 2008 19:23 Go to previous message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
If it is a back loaded horn, you can adjust the compression chamber throat to balance the frequency response. The stronger the magnet, the smaller that the compression chamber and the narrower that the throat needs to be to achieve a balanced sound.

I have my Lowther DX4s mountd on open baffle. This is the most transparent sound for them, but then equalization is required. With mounting them on open baffle, even with the the passive components in the signal path, the sound of Lowthers is more transparent than mounting them in back horns without such devices in the signal path.

Retsel

Previous Topic: Tannoy speakers
Next Topic: PI One Tower
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 06:05:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers