Home » Audio » Speaker » Floor bounce
Floor bounce [message #21811] Mon, 14 May 2007 12:12 Go to next message
Geoserv is currently offline  Geoserv
Esquire
What do you do to prevent the notch from floor bounce? If a single driver is used, do you place it low to the ground to prevent floor bounce or place it high on the baffle near ear level and just live with a notch in response from floor bounce?

Re: Floor bounce [message #21812 is a reply to message #21811] Tue, 15 May 2007 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
As you suggest, there isn't much that you can do about floor bounce with a single driver speaker. You could put the driver at the floor, but then the sound stage will be on the floor and that is really annoying. The drivers on my speakers work out to be ~32" off of the floor. The sound stage is a little low, but livable. I find that the best sound stage is with the driver ~45" off of the floor. One thing you might try is to put a coffee table or large hassock between you and the speakers. That will block a large part of the floor bounce and the bounce off of the table will be at a higher frequency. Maybe a good thing, maybe not.

Bob

Re: Floor bounce [message #21813 is a reply to message #21811] Wed, 16 May 2007 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI,
You could put the BR port or TL port close to floor level, and the driver high up (listening height). This is the design most folks use.
-akhilesh

Re: Floor bounce [message #21814 is a reply to message #21813] Fri, 18 May 2007 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When a driver is placed at ear height, the frequency where the floor bounce notch occurs is well above the port frequency. So port position isn't as relevent as driver position. Ceiling bounce is actually about right for the range of frequencies coming from the port though.

Re: Floor bounce [message #21815 is a reply to message #21814] Sat, 19 May 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's true, Wayne. I can't think of a solution for a single driver and 1 port solution, unless you put the driver 5 feet up and point it downwards (20 feet would be approx 60 hz) and maybe use a transmision line or something. Perhaps a fostex 167E driver in a voigt pipe like we heard at Jim Denton's house? It seemed really flat over 100 hz on my rat shack meter if I remember.
What do you think?
-akhilesh

Re: Floor bounce [message #21816 is a reply to message #21815] Sat, 19 May 2007 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Just for grins, here is the FR response of my FT-1600 MLTL. This was an ungated measurement taken out of doors over concrete.

Bob

Re: Floor bounce [message #21817 is a reply to message #21816] Sun, 20 May 2007 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The dip at 200Hz must be caused by floor bounce. I get a similar one from my two π towers, but the driver in my speakers is a little higher than yours, so my notch is shifted down a bit, around 150Hz.

Re: Floor bounce [message #21818 is a reply to message #21815] Sun, 20 May 2007 10:19 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I usually suggest trying to keep bass drivers either closer to a boundary than 2 feet or further away than 8 feet. This shifts the self-reflection notch out of band. With two-way speakers or single drivers, this usually isn't practical.

Previous Topic: Project Studio Monitors
Next Topic: Neo 8 / neo3 xo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 02:48:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout