Home » Audio » Speaker » What is the optimal frequency range for a single driver to reproduce?
What is the optimal frequency range for a single driver to reproduce? [message #21423] Sat, 04 February 2006 18:04 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
1. Tradeoffs:
Multiple drivers leads to a smoother freq response
SIngle driver leads to greater "coherence"

2. What is the spectrum of fundamental frequencies for most instruments and voices? Presumably we want these to come from one driver?

-akhilesh

Re: What is the optimal frequency range for a single driver to reproduce? [message #21426 is a reply to message #21423] Sun, 05 February 2006 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
1. Give me the coherence of a single driver any day of the week. This coherence is due mainly to a lack of cross-over phasing problems in the critical 300-3000 Hz band. But then, the overall characteristics of a single driver full range system exactly match the music I listen to. If you are into big, loud and complex, you will probably disagree with me.

2. The normal instrument range is for 40 Hz for a double bass to 4200 Hz for a piccolo. The normal voice range is 60-1500 Hz (assuming that the F5 in Mozart's "Magic Flute" is as high as it goes). The normal piano range is 28-4200 Hz and the Boesendorfer Model 290 goes to 16 Hz. The normal large organ goes to 16 Hz, but a few monsters, like the Sidney Opera House organ goes to 8 Hz.

Question for you -- Capturing the fundamental is fine, but don't you want to get at least the first two harmonics?

Bob

Re: What is the optimal frequency range for a single driver to reproduce? [message #21427 is a reply to message #21426] Mon, 06 February 2006 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
THanks a lot, Bob. Great post & very informative.
I thought it would be good to know what the fundamental frequencies are. Linkwitz's orion does 140-1500 Hz (approx) on one driver.

I have found that if I do 100-3500 on one driver, itr pretty much covers most of the listneing spectrum...just by my own listening experiments.

Of course the higher one goes, the greater the cone breakup, and beaming. It' a tradeoff! Linkwotz chose to go with no cone breakup. I do a little bit of cone breakup on my vintage trusonics.

-akhilesh

Two harmonics? [message #21466 is a reply to message #21426] Sat, 04 March 2006 08:18 Go to previous message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor
What Hz range must a speaker cover in order to capture the first two harmonics?

Previous Topic: Adding super-tweeter to my Fostex FE-206's
Next Topic: Sim help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 21:37:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout