Home » Audio » Speaker » Why do they cost so much??
Why do they cost so much?? [message #21212] Thu, 11 August 2005 14:17 Go to next message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Hi. I am looking at single driver speakers again.

I saw a single driver speaker company named audio tekne and is a

small stand mount. Theses speakers cost so much but look so old.

I saw them on hi-hi farm for sale. That is were you can see what

I am taking about. Why so much money and why so little and is this

driver such a big deal that it cost so much to make it? Why is this

speaker company making you pay so much? Can some one please help me

understand? Thanks jm. P.S. Some people say it sounds like a $80,000

dollar speaker but I think that is far from the truth.

Re: Why do they cost so much?? [message #21214 is a reply to message #21212] Thu, 11 August 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Have you ever heard an 80,000$ speaker? Maybe they do sound as good.
The materials in the driver and the difficulty of manufacture and tolerance is where the money goes.

Because they are a very big predicament. [message #21218 is a reply to message #21212] Thu, 11 August 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Ten octaves range for a mechanical transducer that must put several acoustic watts into a medium-sized room is a colossal engineering nightmare.  If it must as well disperse the highest frequencies across a horizontal 30° or so, all the worse.

Educate yourself.  Do the research.  Solve the problem for yourself (or not!).  Guys with doctorates in this stuff have torn their hair out over this problem.

I'm glad I don't have to solve it; I can just spend a few hundred clams, and pay somebody else to.

Aloha,

Poinz

Re: Why do they cost so much?? [message #21219 is a reply to message #21212] Fri, 12 August 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Thanks for the help. Jm

Re: Because they are a very big predicament. [message #21223 is a reply to message #21218] Fri, 12 August 2005 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Guys with doctorates in this stuff have torn their hair out over this problem.

Not a problem , and i dont even have a doc degree( hell almost didnt get my BS dregee). Take a Jordan 4" driver and re-enforce with a BLH or TL (like GMs design). Presto ,ya gotta 10 octave range.
As i work with acoustical physics every day ( very high frequency range) i can state that its all dependant on what the final sound is desired and the room size, dimensions,dynamic range required, source,amp ect ect.
ron

Re: Because they are a very big predicament. [message #21224 is a reply to message #21223] Fri, 12 August 2005 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
hell almost didnt get my BS dregee

See! kint even speel!
ron

Not a problem . . . [message #21276 is a reply to message #21223] Sun, 04 September 2005 21:36 Go to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
That's because you shunt the problem to Dr. Ted, who has torn his hair out over this predicament for years, and now makes the solution available to you for mere hundreds of (Shrub devalued) US$.

Deferring the problem does not remove it, it just removes it from your sight, if you are short-sighted.  I reiterate; a driver that can output an acoustic watt into an average room with flat freqency response over ten (okay, nine) octaves, and okay dispersion on top, is an engineer's nightmare.

So, it's not your nightmare.  Lucky you;  blow a kiss at Dr. Ted.

Aloha,

Poinz

Previous Topic: Two horn theory papers
Next Topic: Going from 3 to 12 tweeters...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:59:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio