Home » Audio » Speaker » need plans in "inches" for Lowther DX-3 back horn cabinets
need plans in "inches" for Lowther DX-3 back horn cabinets [message #20479] Sun, 10 October 2004 14:26 Go to next message
Lance A. is currently offline  Lance A.
Esquire
I have been searching in vain for Mauhorn X, and or Medallion II plans for 3/4" Ply wood (not 22mm) and with all cuts and dimensions in inches. Please help.

Lance A.

Re: need plans in "inches" for Lowther DX-3 back horn cabinets [message #20481 is a reply to message #20479] Mon, 11 October 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi Lance,

Why not just buy a metric tape measure and work in metric?

It's only difficult if you do conversions. Why fight it? I did for a long time, but eventually I just bought a metric tape and actually found it easier.

Think about this: Take half of oh, say, 210 mm. OK, 105. Now, add 22 mm thick plywood to that measurement. OK, now it's 127, right? Easy.

Now think about this: Take half of 8 17/64" (EQUIVALENT TO 210mm) and get ______? Now, add 3/4" to that and get _____? Quick now...what are the answers?

Yeah, see my point? Be more Zen like. Don't fight it.

Starret makes a 4 meter/12 foot metric tape measure and I'm sure other companies do also.

22 mm. plywood would be about 7/8th" plywood. 25mm would be very close to 1" plywood. Apparently, Lowther does not want you to used 18 mm (or 3/4" plywood) for these designs.

In metric, it would be easy to ajust for the differences in dimensions betwen the 22mm and the 25 mm. But, not so easy when using English standard measurements.

I'd love to know how these turn out for you because I've been interested in the DX-3 myself for quite some time now.

Should you need any help with the woodworking details I'd be happy to give you my phone number and we could discuss. I've been a cabinetmaker all my life.

Regards,
Mark

Re: need plans in "inches" for Lowther DX-3 back horn cabinets [message #20483 is a reply to message #20481] Mon, 11 October 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance A. is currently offline  Lance A.
Esquire
Mark,

It's great to know that I have the assistance of a lifelong cabinet maker at my disposal. Although, I have been opening cabinets for most of my life, I have little experience building anything other than a simple bass reflex cabinet. I would really like to give the Mauhorns a try though. I would be well seved to see if my lumber supplier has the potential of ordering 22mm Baltic Birch plywood.

I have also talked with Jon at ,Lowther America, about ordering Medallion 2 and or 3 plans from him. They will be in inches ,but, I think that the Mauhaorn X. offers more internal hornage (made that up) and therefore may have more low frequency potential. I could be totally wrong about that.

Lance A.

Lance A.

Re: need plans in "inches" for Lowther DX-3 back horn cabinets [message #20491 is a reply to message #20483] Wed, 13 October 2004 17:45 Go to previous message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hey Lance,

I have not been sucessful in finding baltic birch plywood in my area, (NE Pennsylvania) but I feel that any cabinet grade, multicore (the more layers you can count when you look at the edges, the better) will suffice. Definately don't use lumber core plywood -- which is just what it sounds like -- pieces of solid lumber are lined up next to each other and then are covered by the two outer veneers.

I'm not directly familiar with the Mauhorn, although I've heard of it. Is it on the Lowther site? Actually, I'm surprised at the designs that are NOT on the Lowther site.

Most of the Lowther designs (not all) would not be too difficult to construct.

When you get ready to build, and if you feel you might need some advice, I'd be delighted to assist. If you have access to a table saw it would be great but maybe not mandatory.

Regards,
Mark

Previous Topic: rear loaded horn project
Next Topic: Ferguson Hill - Clear Horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:12:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers